Microsoft KB Archive/252515
Article ID: 252515
Article Last Modified on 3/1/2007
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
This article was previously published under Q252515
When you use Remote Installation Server (RIS) to install a client, you may receive the following error message:
This error message is displayed after drive C is formatted.
This issue occurs because of a problem specific to RIS Riprep installations and text mode setup where the volume label for the drive contains 20 or more characters.
This issue can also occur if you attempt to install an image that is too large for the target drive. For example, if the drive that you imaged is 40 gigabytes, the target drive must be 40 gigabytes or larger.
To work around this issue, use the appropriate method:
- Apply Windows 2000 Service Pack 1 or later before you use Riprep to create the image.
- Make sure that the volume label for the drive uses 19 or fewer characters.
- Make sure that the target drive is large enough to store the disk image.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
The drive letter that is displayed in the 'checking drive...' screen displays the 20th character (using a 0-based count) in the drive's volume label.
Additional query words: Riprep Drive letter
Keywords: kberrmsg kbpending kbprb KB252515