Microsoft KB Archive/252417
Article ID: 252417
Article Last Modified on 6/22/2005
- Microsoft Internet Information Server 4.0
- Microsoft Management Console 1.1
- Microsoft Management Console 1.2
This article was previously published under Q252417
We strongly recommend that all users upgrade to Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) version 6.0 running on Microsoft Windows Server 2003. IIS 6.0 significantly increases Web infrastructure security. For more information about IIS security-related topics, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
When you use Microsoft Management Console (MMC) version 1.1, the property sheets under Internet Information Server (IIS) may stop appearing. When opening the properties of a Web site or virtual directory, the title bar of the IIS MMC will become inactive, as if a new active window, an IIS property sheet has appeared, but none does appear. When trying to close the MMC, the following error message appears:
In the MMC version 1.2, when you use Event Viewer, you see that property pages do not appear and the MMC cannot be closed. When you attempt to close Event Viewer, you receive the following error message:
The Rcse.dll file is installed in association with certain tape-backup software.
To work around this problem, follow these steps:
- Use the Internet Service Manager (HTML) to administer the Web site.
- Connect to the server from a computer that does not have the DLL installed and remotely administer the computer through the MMC.
- Remove Rcse.dll from the system. To do this, use Add/Remove Programs to uninstall the Stac Replica software. Be sure to remove the shared system file, Rcse.dll, during the uninstall. When Rcse.dll is removed, the MMC will behave normally again.
NOTE: The MMC also behaves normally for a while after you restart or log back on to the computer.
If the Stac Replica software has already been removed, and Rcse.dll is present on the system, follow these steps to remove the file:
- Install The Stac Replica software from the source files.
- Uninstall the Stac Replica software by using Add/Remove Programs.
- During the uninstall process, be sure to remove the shared system file, Rcse.dll.
The MMC version 1.1 does not display the property pages for the IIS snap-ins (Microsoft Internet Server Manager and Transaction Server). Other snap-ins, such as SQL Enterprise Manager Snap-In or the Radius snap-in, still appear to function normally.
For more information, see the following Web site:
Additional query words: event viewer services sbs 2000
Keywords: kbprb kbpending KB252417