Microsoft KB Archive/250255
Article ID: 250255
Article Last Modified on 1/27/2007
- Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
This article was previously published under Q250255
After Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition setup is completed, or after you remove your serial mouse and restart the computer, the mouse is not listed as being installed, although it works correctly.
When you open System Properties in Control Panel and click Device Manager, the mouse is not listed. The appropriate entry does not appear even after you click Refresh.
To resolve this issue, follow these steps to force legacy hardware detection:
- On the taskbar click Start, click Settings, and then click Control Panel.
- Double-click the Add New Hardware icon.
- In the first wizard window that opens, click Next.
- Click Next again to search for Plug and Play-compatible devices.
- After the Plug and Play search is finished, click Yes, and then click Next. Windows then detects hardware that is not Plug and Play-compatible.
- After the hardware detection is complete, click Finish to quit the Add New Hardware Wizard.
Keywords: kbenv kbhardware kbprb KB250255