Microsoft KB Archive/249231
Article ID: 249231
Article Last Modified on 1/27/2007
- Microsoft Office 2000 Premium Edition
- Microsoft Office 2000 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Office 2000 Small Business Edition
- Microsoft Office 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Office 2000 Developer Edition
This article was previously published under Q249231
When you are using the Microsoft Office 2000 Custom Installation Wizard (CIW) and you try to import a registry file into a transform, the following error message may appear:
This error message may appear if you are trying to import a registry file that was exported from a computer running Microsoft Windows 2000.
To work around this problem, do the following:
- On a computer running Windows 2000, right-click the registry file and then click Edit on the shortcut menu. This opens the file in Notepad.
- Change the top line from "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00" to "REGEDIT4". This is case sensitive, so make sure you type REGEDIT4 in uppercase letters.
- On the File menu, click Save As.
- In the Save As dialog box, click the Encoding list and select ANSI.
- To ensure that you do not write over the original registry file, type a new name for your file. For example, type "my reg file.reg", including the quotation marks. Otherwise, your file name will have .txt appended to it during the save process.
- Click Save. You can now import your registry file into your transform.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
For more information about the Microsoft Office 2000 Custom Installation Wizard, please see the Microsoft Office Resource Kit at the following Microsoft World Wide Web site:
Additional query words: OFF2000
Keywords: kbbug kbnofix KB249231