Microsoft KB Archive/247374
Article ID: 247374
Article Last Modified on 7/31/2001
- Microsoft Office 2000 Developer Edition
This article was previously published under Q247374
In Access Workflow Designer, when you add a main table that has a related lookup table which has one or more special characters in its name (such as . * [ ] \ | / < > : " ? '), the Main Table Selection Wizard stops and you receive an error message similar to the following:
Unlike Microsoft SQL Server 7.0, Access Workflow Designer does not support the use of one or more special characters in lookup table names.
Rename the related lookup table in Microsoft SQL Server Enterprise Manager so that it does not use any of the special characters mentioned in the "Symptoms" section. After you have modified the table name, add this table to the previously saved database diagram again in Microsoft Access. Then, rerun the Main Table Selection Wizard.
Steps to Reproduce Behavior
- Create a new database on Microsoft SQL Server named test.
- Create a table named MyMainTable with the following columns and column attributes:
Column name, data type, and length Other column attributes MyID; int; 4 Clear Allow Nulls; Select Identity; Use Identity Seed and Identity Increment values that you want. Make MyID the primary key for this table. MyDescrip; char; 10 Clear Allow Nulls. SuppID; int; 4 Clear Allow Nulls.
- Create another table named [MySuppliers]. (Be sure to include the brackets ([ and ]) in the table name). Create the following columns and column attributes:
Column name, data type, and length Other column attributes Supp; int; 4 Clear Allow Nulls; Select Identity; Use Identity Seed and Identity Increment values that you want. Make SuppID the primary key for this table. SuppName; char; 10 Clear Allow Nulls.
- Save both tables.
- Create a new database diagram. Add the MyMainTable and the [MySuppliers] tables.
- Click the SuppID column in the [MySuppliers] table.
- Drag the SuppID column over the SuppID column in the MyMainTable table. This establishes a relationship between the two tables.
- Save the database diagram, and then close it.
- Start Access Workflow Designer. If this database has not previously been registered with the Access Workflow Designer, you are prompted to do so at this time.
- In the Object List, right-click Tables, and then click Add Main Table on the shortcut menu to start the Main Table Selection Wizard.
- On the Welcome page, click Next.
- On the User Tables page, select MyMainTable, and then click Next.
- On the Row-Level Permissions for Main Tables page, click Next.
- On the Completing the Main Table Selection Wizard page, click Finish. Note that you receive the error message mentioned at the beginning of this article.
Additional query words: pra can t special characters lookup relationship period left right question mark back slash less greater than asterisk quotation colon apostrohe pipe symbol trying to
Keywords: kberrmsg kbbug kbpending kbworkflowdesigner KB247374