Microsoft KB Archive/24715
Mac Works: Importing a Space-Delimited Text File
PSS ID Number: Q24715 Article last modified on 10-22-1998
1.0 1.1 2.0 3.0
====================================================================== 1.00 1.10 2.00 3.00 MACINTOSH kbusage kbprb
|The information in this article applies to:|
|- Microsoft Works for the Macintosh, versions 1.x, 2.0, and 3.0|
When you open a space-delimited text file as a Microsoft Works spreadsheet, all of the file’s information appears in the first column of the spreadsheet.
Works creates columns for separate fields only if those fields are separated by tabs. Follow these steps to correctly import a space- delimited text file:
- Start Microsoft Works.
- From the File menu, choose Open to open the text file. (In Works 2.0, you must choose Import File as well.)
- From the Edit menu, choose Replace.
- In the Find What box, type in the greatest number of spaces that appear together within the document.
- In the Replace With box, choose the tab button. (This is indicated by a short up arrow in the lower right of the dialog box.)
- Click the Replace All button.
- When the procedure is complete, delete one space from the contents of the Find What box.
- Repeat steps 6 and 7 until the procedure has been completed with a single space in the Find What box, then proceed to step 9.
- From the File menu, choose Save As.
- With Works 2.0, choose the Export button. With Works 3.0, choose the File Format menu and select the Text option.
- Give the file a name, then click Save.
This procedure replaces each space (or series of spaces) with a tab. You can then open the new text document as a spreadsheet. For Works 2.0, select the Spreadsheet icon in the Open File dialog box, then check Import File. For Works 3.0, select the Spreadsheet icon in the Choose Type dialog box.
KBCategory: kbusage kbprb KBSubcategory: macworkskb
Additional reference words: 1.00 1.10 2.00 3.00 mswksss mswksdb mswkswp 3rdparty ====================================================================== Version : 1.0 1.1 2.0 3.0 Platform : MACINTOSH Issue type : kbprb ============================================================================= Copyright Microsoft Corporation 1998.