Microsoft KB Archive/246844
Article ID: 246844
Article Last Modified on 11/1/2006
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
This article was previously published under Q246844
When you install ScanSoft, Inc., Pagis Pro version 2.0 or 3.0 on a computer running Microsoft Windows 2000 and then try to use a Hewlett-Packard (HP) scanner, your attempt to scan a document does not work and you receive a Dr. Watson error message about an access violation in Scantool.exe.
To work around this behavior, change the scanner's properties to Show TWAIN Interface. Follow these steps:
- Remove the scanner, and then delete the data source from C:\Winnt\Twain32.
- Start Pagis Pro.
- Minimize Pagis Pro, and then install the scanner software.
- In Pagis, click Scan to configure the scanner by using the Scanner Setup Wizard.
- Change the scanner's properties from the default value of Hide TWAIN Interface to Show TWAIN Interface:
- Open the Pagis Inbox.
- Click Scan.
- In the Pagis Scan Tool - Scanner window, click Scanner.
- Click Select Scanning Source, and then click Next.
- Click the HP TWAIN driver in the box, and then click Next.
- Click Yes, and then click Next.
- Click Advanced to bring up the TWAIN Interface window.
- Click Show TWAIN Interface, and then click OK.
- Continue setting up the scanner.
The third-party products that are discussed in this article are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in Microsoft Windows 2000.
Additional query words: scanner access violation Dr
Keywords: kbbug kbpending KB246844