Microsoft KB Archive/246167
Article ID: 246167
Article Last Modified on 6/24/2004
- Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Learning Edition
- Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Enterprise Edition
- Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Enterprise Edition Service Pack 3
- Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Enterprise Edition Service Pack 4
- Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Enterprise Edition Service Pack 5
- Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.1 Service Pack 2
- Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.5
- Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.6
- Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.7
This article was previously published under Q246167
Opening an Microsoft Excel spreadsheet from within Visual Basic in Visual Studio 6.0 Service Pack 3 (or later) Integrated Development Environment (IDE) with the Excel/ODBC/ISAM driver generates the following run-time error:
This problem occurs every time that you run the code within the Visual Basic IDE.
NOTE This error does not occur if the all the fields are selected in the SQL statement, for example:
SELECT * FROM ...
Also, this problem does not occur within a compiled EXE.
This is a problem within the Visual Basic IDE starting with service pack 3.
Steps to Reproduce Behavior
- Create a spreadsheet in Microsoft Excel 97 or Microsoft Excel 2000 and place the following values in the prescribe fields:
- A1 = F1
- B1 = F2
- C1 = F3
- Save the spreadsheet and create a DSN pointing to it.
- Start Visual Basic 6.0 from Visual Studio 6.0 Service Pack 3 or later.
Create a new Standard EXE and set a reference to Microsoft Active Data Objects. Paste the following code into the form:
Public Sub Form_Load() Dim constring As String Dim Connection As New ADODB.Connection Dim cmd As New ADODB.Command Dim rs As New ADODB.Recordset ' define a DSN IMPORT-XLS, using the Excel ODBC driver, and point it to the xls file constring = "Provider=MSDASQL;DSN=IMPORT-XLS" Connection.Open constring Set cmd.ActiveConnection = Connection cmd.CommandType = adCmdText ' The following .CommandText causes the error, but only the first time it is run within the ide. cmd.CommandText = "Select F1, F2 from ""Sheet1$""" ' The following .CommandText will not cause the error. ' cmd.CommandText = "Select * from ""Sheet1$""" rs.CursorLocation = adUseClient rs.CursorType = adOpenStatic rs.LockType = adLockReadOnly rs.Open cmd While Not rs.EOF MsgBox rs.Fields(0) rs.MoveNext Wend End Sub
- Make the necessary changes to the ConnectionString.
- Run the form.
- The first time the form runs, the error appears; it does not appear in subsequent runs.
Additional query words: error -2147467259 (80004005)
Keywords: kbiisam kbdatabase kbprb KB246167