Microsoft KB Archive/175606
Money 98: AutoBalance Does Not Categorize Account Adjustments
PSS ID Number: Q175606 Article last modified on 08-20-1998
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Money 98
- == Microsoft Money version 5.0 for Windows 95 ==
In Microsoft Money 98, you can use AutoBalance to track interest expense and service charges on your credit cards without having to track all of your expenses. AutoBalance enters an account adjustment based on the information you enter. Money does not categorize this Account Adjustment transaction. In reports, these transactions appear as Expenses - Unassigned.
To accurately track these Account Adjustment transactions in your reports, you can manually edit these transactions to include the appropriate category.
This feature is under review and will be considered for inclusion in a future release.
This problem has been corrected in Microsoft Money 99.
If you manually balance the Credit Card Account and categorize any account adjustment, Money uses this category for all future account adjustments entered by the AutoBalance feature.
To manually enter an account adjustment, follow these steps:
- Go to the Account Register for the Credit Card Account.
- Click Balance and Click Next.
- If you have not balanced this account before, enter a date in the Statement Date field.
- Note the figure in the “Total Amount You Owed Last Month” field.
- In “Total Amount You Owe This Month,” enter one dollar more than the figure in step 4.
- Click Next. The Balance Account should display a Difference of (1.00). Click Next.
- When asked what you want to do about the difference, click to select “Automatically Adjust The Account Balance.”
- Click to select the category you want future automatic adjustments to use in the Category fields and Click Next.
- If prompted to pay the bill, click Pay Bill Later.
Future account adjustments made by the AutoBalance feature will use the category you specified in Step 8.
To remove the fictitious transaction from your register, follow these steps:
- In the Account Register, right-click the Account Adjustment transaction that you just created and on the shortcut menu, click Delete.
- When Money warns that this transaction has been reconciled, click OK.
For more information on how AutoBalance calculates the account adjustment, For additional information, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
ARTICLE-ID: Q171345 TITLE : Money: How AutoBalance Calculates the Account Adjustment
Additional query words: w_money 6.0 buzz w_money 5.0
Keywords : kbdta kbbuglist Version : WINDOWS:5.0,98 Platform : WINDOWS Issue type : kbbug Solution Type : kbfix ============================================================================= Copyright Microsoft Corporation 1998.