Microsoft KB Archive/175482
Article ID: 175482
Article Last Modified on 10/26/2006
- Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Exchange Server 4.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Exchange Server 5.0 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q175482
The First name or Last name fields of custom recipients for Microsoft Mail for PC Users users are not exchanged by directory synchronization (dirsync) by default. Consequently, any naming rules based on the Surname (Last name) or Given name (First name) will not be followed.
To populate the First name and Last name fields for MS Mail custom recipients for Exchange Server user properties, follow the three steps outlined in the workaround section.
- Set up a template file in MS Mail. To do this:
- Create a text file named Admin.tpl in the \Maildata\Tpl directory.
In that file, create the following entries:
Surname:~17~10~ULP~Last~ Given Name:~17~10~ULP~First~
For an in-depth explanation of these fields, refer to the MS Mail Administrator guide.
- After the template file is made, start the MS Mail Administrator program.
- Modify each MS Mail account to enter new template information.
- Enable Send local template information under Config\Dirsync\ Requestor\Options.
- Set up incoming template definitions on the Exchange Server Directory Synchronization object.
- In the Configuration container, select Servers\Server Name\ Directory Synchronization\Incoming Templates, and then click New .
- In the "Map the string" field, enter: Given Name: .
- In the "Mapped to" field, select from the list: Given name, and click OK.
- Click New again, and in the "Map this String" area type: Surname:.
- In the "Mapped to" field, select from the list: Surname.
- Perform manual or automatic directory synchronization between MS Mail and Exchange Server. Existing MS Mail custom recipient addresses will be replaced with updated template information.
After the First and Last name fields have been populated, naming rules based on Surname and Given names can be applied for custom recipients.
Keywords: kbhowto KB175482