Microsoft KB Archive/174695
Article ID: 174695
Article Last Modified on 10/28/2006
- Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Exchange Server 5.0 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q174695
When several versions of the message transfer agent (MTA) are in use, it is important to determine the version or build of the MTA installed on a Microsoft Exchange Server computer. This article explains the process of identifying the MTA build. When the MTA stops or restarts, it generates the following events in the Event Viewer application log.
The description line of these events contains the MTA build.
Event ID: 9298 Source: MSExchangeMTA Type: Information Category: X.400 Service Description: Microsoft Exchange Server MTA Service startup complete, version 5.0 (build 1457.8). [BASE IL MAIN BASE 31 490] (14) Event ID: 9299 Source: MSExchangeMTA Type: Information Category: X.400 Service Description: Service closedown complete, version 5.0 (build 1457.8). [BASE IL MAIN BASE 31 490] (16)
If you need to determine what version of the MTA is installed on an Exchange Server computer, perform the following steps:
- In Control Panel, double-click the Services icon.
- Select the MTA Service and click Stop.
- Click Close, and then close Control Panel.
- Open the application log file and find the description that contains the version and build information.
Keywords: kbinfo KB174695