Microsoft KB Archive/174402
Article ID: 174402
Article Last Modified on 1/20/2007
- Microsoft Outlook 97 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q174402
After you install the Microsoft Office 97 Service Release 1 (SR-1) Patch and configure Microsoft Outlook 97 using the Microsoft Exchange Server service, when you attempt to open the Outlook Address Book you may receive the message:
Invalid page fault in Msvcrt.dll
There are two places in the SR-1 Patch setup script (.stf) file where an extra semicolon has been included.
For new installations, delete the extra semicolons in the .stf file. For existing installations, modify the .stf file using these steps, then reinstall the SR-1 Patch. Or, edit the registry of affected systems.
To modify the file, follow these steps:
- Open the appropriate .stf file in an editor such as Microsoft Excel 97.
For Office 97 Professional, use Off97pro.stf.
For Office 97 Standard, use Off97std.stf.
The .stf file is located in the Office 97 Setup folder.
- Search for each occurrence of the Minet32.dll string in the file. It should look like the following (the line number will be different depending on which version of the file you use):
""Internet Mail"", ""4.0;minet32.dll;2;;;;IMAIL"""
NOTE: The string above will appear as a single line of text.
- Delete one semicolon immediately preceding IMAIL. There are two places in the file where a semicolon must be deleted.
- Save and close the file.
- Run the SR-1 Patch Setup.
For an existing client experiencing this problem, edit the registry to remove the extra semicolon. The key is found in the following registry path:
The value to be changed is "Internet Mail" and is a REG_SZ. Remove the extra semicolon and verify that he remaining string is as follows:
For more information on editing the .stf file, please see the following articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
178330 How to install Access 97 wizards locally [Standalone network setup]
162796 OFF97: Setup Error 932 After Modifying STF File
Keywords: kbprb KB174402