Microsoft KB Archive/173883
Article ID: 173883
Article Last Modified on 1/20/2007
- Microsoft Office 97 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Word 97 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Excel 97 Standard Edition
- Microsoft PowerPoint 97 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q173883
When you copy an AutoShape from any of the programs listed at the beginning of this article, and then paste the AutoShape into a program that is not included in Microsoft Office 97, you may notice one or more of the following problems:
- One or more of the edges of the pasted AutoShape may be missing. For example, one edge of a star may be missing.
- If the copied AutoShape contains a patterned fill, the pasted AutoShape may contain a solid color fill.
- If the copied AutoShape contains a textured fill, the textured fill may "leak" out of the pasted AutoShape and fill a rectangular area centered around the AutoShape.
These problems may occur when you copy an AutoShape, and then paste it into either of the following programs:
- Corel Draw 6.x
- Quarterdeck HiJaak PRO for Windows 95
You may be able to work around these problems by first pasting the AutoShape into another program, such as Microsoft Paint. If you then copy the AutoShape from Microsoft Paint and paste it into another program, the problems described in the "Symptoms" section in this article may not occur.
Note that using this method converts the AutoShape from an enhanced metafile (EMF) into a bitmap (BMP). After this conversion occurs, it may not be possible to perform certain functions with the converted AutoShape.
This problem occurs when you use Microsoft Office 97 and Corel Draw 6.x or HiJaak PRO for Windows 95. This is a known problem that occurs when you paste enhanced metafiles, such as AutoShapes, into certain programs. Note that the problem does not occur when you paste an AutoShape into any of the programs included in Microsoft Office 97.
In the programs included in Microsoft Office 97, an AutoShape is stored as an enhanced metafile (EMF). If you copy an AutoShape and paste it into another program, the other program may incorrectly handle the copied EMF. As a result, the pasted AutoShape may appear differently than the original AutoShape. These problems may also occur if you use the Paste Special command (if available) to paste the copied AutoShape into another program.
Corel Draw is manufactured by Corel Corporation, a vendor independent of Microsoft; we make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.
HiJaak PRO is manufactured by Quarterdeck Corporation, a vendor independent of Microsoft; we make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.
Additional query words: XL97 WD97 PP97
Keywords: kbinterop kbprb KB173883