Microsoft KB Archive/172669
PSS ID Number: 172669
Article Last Modified on 11/21/2003
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft ActiMates Arthur 1.0
- Microsoft ActiMates Barney 1.0
- Microsoft ActiMates D.W. 1.0
- Microsoft ActiMates TV Pack 1.0
- Microsoft ActiMates TV Pack 2.0
This article was previously published under Q172669
When you use a Microsoft ActiMates character with the ActiMates TV Pack Transmitter, your TV and VCR, and an ActiMates-compatible videotape, you may experience one of the following scenarios:
- The ActiMates character stops and starts mid-sentence while the show is playing.
- The ActiMates character's speech is broken up or missing words.
- The ActiMates-compatible video is playing, but you can't see the picture on the television screen.
- The ActiMates-compatible video is playing, but the picture is distorted.
- The ActiMates-compatible video is playing, but the ActiMates character isn't interacting with the videotape.
This article discusses troubleshooting steps to resolve these problems.
Use the appropriate section below to resolve the problem.
ActiMates Character Stops and Starts Mid-Sentence
- Move the ActiMates character closer to the Transmitter to make sure its in the Transmitter's range. Ideally, the ActiMates character should be less than 15 feet (4.6 meters) from the Transmitter, and the Transmitter should be at least 1 foot (0.3 meters) from the TV and VCR throughout the show. If the character is outside the Transmitter's range, it will be unable to interact with the show.
- Adjust the tracking on your VCR. If the tracking control is very sensitive, then the VCR probably needs to be serviced by a qualified technician.
ActiMates Character's Speech is Broken Up or Missing Words
- Move the ActiMates character closer to the Transmitter or a few feet to the right or left. Ideally, the ActiMates character should be less than 15 feet (4.6 meters) from the Transmitter, and the Transmitter should be at least 1 foot (0.3 meters) from the TV and VCR throughout the show.
- Try moving the Transmitter to a different location.
- Make sure the Transmitter's cables are fully extended.
- If you're using a cordless phone while the ActiMates-compatible videotape is playing, there may be interference between the phone and the Transmitter. Change the frequency (channel) of your cordless phone. You may need to hold the phone close to the base station in order to change the frequency.
- Turn off other radio-operated devices while playing with the ActiMates character. There may be interference between the Transmitter and another radio-operated device. For example, baby monitors, garage door openers, burglar alarms, radio controlled toys, and so on. Certain types of appliances with electric motors may also cause interference.
ActiMates-Compatible Video Playing -- No Picture on the Screen
- Make sure the TV and VCR are both turned on, and that the VCR is in PLAY mode.
- Make sure the TV Pack Transmitter is properly connected to the TV and VCR. Also, make sure the cable connections are secure.
- Adjust the tracking on your VCR.
ActiMates-Compatible Video Playing -- Picture is Distorted
- Adjust the tracking on your VCR.
- If the picture quality is poor or snowy, but you can hear the audio clearly, the heads on your VCR may be dirty. Try cleaning the heads on the VCR.
- If these suggestions don't work, it is possible that the videotape or the heads on your VCR are worn out.
ActiMates-Compatible Video Playing -- No Interaction
- Make sure the videotape is Microsoft ActiMates-compatible. Check the videotape's package for the Microsoft ActiMates-compatible symbol.
- Make sure the green light on the TV Pack Transmitter is blinking at a steady rate. If the light on the Transmitter isn't on, the transmitter isn't getting power. If the light is off, make sure the AC adapter is plugged into a wall outlet and connected securely to the Transmitter. If the light on the Transmitter is lit but not blinking, make sure you've properly connected the Transmitter to your TV and VCR.
For instructions, see the ActiMates TV Pack Getting Started manual included in the box with the ActiMates TV Pack.
- Squeeze the character's hand to make sure it's awake. If the character was asleep, it will say "Let's watch TV together" when it wakes up. If it was already awake and interacting with the video, it will say a friendship phrase. If the character offers to play a game when you squeeze his hand, then there is an interference problem with another radio-operated device. If you suspect an interference problem, try moving the character closer to the Transmitter or try turning off the other device while watching TV with the ActiMates character.
- Make sure the ActiMates character has fresh batteries installed. If the character has trouble communicating with the TV or its movements stop completely, then its batteries need to be replaced.
For more information about how to solve problems related to Microsoft ActiMates characters, use the ActiMates Troubleshooter located at the following Microsoft Web site:
Additional query words: barney barnie acti acta mate mates actamate actamates actimate stops starts mid sentence show playing dw kbimu actimates acti-mates
Keywords: kbHardware kbprb KB172669
Technology: _IKkbbogus kbActimatesArthur kbActimatesBarney kbActimatesDW kbActimatesSearch kbActimatesTVPk100 kbActimatesTVPk200 kbActimatesTVPkSearch kbHomeProdSearch kbZNotKeyword