Microsoft KB Archive/172631
Article ID: 172631
Article Last Modified on 1/20/2007
- Microsoft Word 97 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q172631
When you create a custom numbering scheme in a Word document and then open that document on another computer, the custom numbering scheme may not be available in the Bullets and Numbering dialog box. When you click the Bullets or Numbering buttons on the Formatting toolbar, the custom numbering scheme may not be applied.
This problem occurs when the insertion point is in a paragraph that does not have bullets or numbering applied.
The gallery of custom bullets and numbering schemes (Bullets and Numbering dialog box) are stored on the individual computer. Therefore, a custom scheme created on one computer is unlikely to be available on another computer.
The document with the custom numbering scheme contains enough information to allow you to re-create the custom scheme on the second computer. To do this, use either of the following methods.
Method 1: Use the Format Painter
You can use the Format Painter to copy the numbering scheme from a numbered paragraph to an unnumbered paragraph. To do this, follow these steps:
- Select a correctly numbered paragraph.
- Click the Format Painter button on the Standard toolbar.
The mouse pointer should now look like an "I-beam" with a paintbrush attached to it.
- Select the paragraphs you want to number. Once you release the mouse button, Word applies custom numbering to the selected paragraphs.
Method 2: Update the Numbering Gallery on the Second Computer
You can update the numbering gallery on the second computer to include the custom numbering scheme used in the document. To do this, follow these steps:
- Position the insertion point in one of the correctly numbered paragraphs.
- On the Formatting toolbar, click the Numbering button to turn off the numbering for that paragraph.
- On the Formatting toolbar, click the Numbering button again to turn on the numbering again for that paragraph.
The custom numbering scheme will now be available in the numbering gallery. To use this scheme, follow these steps:
- Position the insertion point on the paragraph you want to number.
- On the Format menu, click Bullets and Numbering.
- In the Bullets and Numbering dialog box, click the appropriate tab, and then click the custom scheme you want to use.
From this point on, in this document, the Numbering button on the Formatting toolbar will use the custom scheme you selected in the gallery.
For more information about working with the Numbering gallery, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
165256 WD97: Numbering Gallery Retains Custom Scheme After Exiting
For more information about the Format Painter, click Contents And Index on the Help menu, click the Index tab in Help Topics: Microsoft Word, type the following text
and then double-click the selected text to go to the "Copy character and paragraph formats" topic. If you are unable to find the information you need, ask the Office Assistant.
Additional query words: auto automatic custom list numbers
Keywords: kbnumbering kbprb KB172631