Microsoft KB Archive/171949
Article ID: 171949
Article Last Modified on 1/20/2007
- Microsoft Access 97 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Office 97 Developer Edition
This article was previously published under Q171949
Advanced: Requires expert coding, interoperability, and multiuser skills.
When synchronizing two replicas over the Internet, you may receive the following message:
Either the Internet is very slow OR there is some problem in the replication manager setup on the internet server machine.
This behavior occurs when the Internet server you are trying to synchronize with is the same computer from which you initiate the synchronization.
There are two workarounds.
Initiate the synchronization from another computer.
In the Synchronize Now dialog box, synchronize with a member of the replica set on a local or wide-area network instead of with a member of the replica set on the Internet.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Microsoft Office 97 Developer Edition Tools.
NOTE: The following steps assume that you have installed Microsoft Access 97 on your Internet server and that you have installed and configured Microsoft Replication Manager 3.5 on your Internet server to synchronize database replicas over the Internet.
Steps to Reproduce Problem
- Start Microsoft Access 97 and create a new database on your Internet server.
- Create a new table with one field.
- Close and save the table as Table1.
- Convert the database to a Design Master.
- Manage the Design Master with Microsoft Replication Manager 3.5; this assigns an Internet address to the Design Master.
- Create a replica from the Design Master, and place it on the same Internet server as the Design Master. Do not manage the replica with Microsoft Replication Manager.
- Start Microsoft Access 97 on your Internet server and open the replica.
- Add a new record to the table created in step 2, and then close the table.
- On the Tools menu, point to Replication, and then click Synchronize Now.
- In the Synchronize Now dialog box, select "A member of the replica set on the Internet," and then click OK.
- In the Synchronize Database dialog box, select the Internet server that your replica set resides on, select the "Send and Receive Changes" option, and then click Synchronize. Note that you receive the error:
Either the Internet is very slow OR there is some problem in the replication manager setup on the Internet server machine.
For more information about synchronizing replicas over the Internet, please refer to the Microsoft Jet 3.5 Replication White Paper.
See the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base for instructions about obtaining the Microsoft Jet 3.5 Replication White Paper:
164553 ACC97: Jet 3.5 Replication White Paper Available in Download Center
For more information about configuring Replication Manager with your Internet server, search the Microsoft ODE Tools Help Index for "Replication Manager, Internet or intranet servers."
Additional query words: can t cannot
Keywords: kbbug kberrmsg kbinterop KB171949