Microsoft KB Archive/171836
Article ID: 171836
Article Last Modified on 12/10/2003
- Microsoft Visual Basic 5.0 Control Creation Edition
- Microsoft Visual Basic 5.0 Learning Edition
- Microsoft Visual Basic 5.0 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Visual Basic 5.0 Enterprise Edition
This article was previously published under Q171836
When viewing the properties of any public API function in the Object Browser, Visual Basic 5.0 may crash.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a bug in the Microsoft products listed at the beginning of this article. This bug has been fixed in Visual Studio 97 Service Pack 2.
For more information on the Visual Studio 97 Service Pack 2, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
170365 INFO: Visual Studio 97 Service Packs - What, Where, and Why
For a list of the Visual Basic 5.0 bugs that were fixed in the Visual Studio 97 Service Pack 2, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
171554 INFO: Visual Basic 5.0 Fixes in Visual Studio 97 Service Pack 2
Steps to Reproduce Behavior
- Open a new Standard EXE project.
- Select menu Project | Add Module to add a new module (Module) to the project.
Paste the following code in the General Declarations section of Module1:
Public Declare Function GetVersion& Lib "kernel32"()
- Press the F2 key to bring up the Object Browser.
- Select Module1 in the left pane of the Object Browser.
- Scroll down in the right pane of the Object Browser to "GetVersion".
- Right Click on "GetVersion," and select "Properties" from the pop-up menu. Note that Visual Basic may crash at this point.
Keywords: kbbug kbfix kbvbp500sp2fix kbvs97sp2fix KB171836