Microsoft KB Archive/171834
Article ID: 171834
Article Last Modified on 12/10/2003
- Microsoft Visual Basic 5.0 Control Creation Edition
- Microsoft Visual Basic 5.0 Learning Edition
- Microsoft Visual Basic 5.0 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Visual Basic 5.0 Enterprise Edition
This article was previously published under Q171834
When a UserControl tries to access members of the ParentControls collection when it is not in UserMode (AmbientProperties.UserMode = False), the following error may occur:
Visual Basic 5.0 is not releasing the interfaces correctly.
Install Visual Studio 97 Service Pack 2 (SP2). Alternately, use a For...Next loop instead of a For...Each loop when looping through the ParentControls collection to avoid the error.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a bug in the Microsoft products listed at the beginning of this article. This bug has been fixed in Visual Studio 97 Service Pack 2.
For more information on the Visual Studio 97 Service Pack 2, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
170365 : INFO: Visual Studio 97 Service Packs - What, Where, and Why
For a list of the Visual Basic 5.0 bugs that were fixed in the Visual Studio 97 Service Pack 2, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
171554 : INFO: Visual Basic 5.0 Fixes in Visual Studio 97 Service Pack 2
Steps to Reproduce Behavior
- Create a new Visual Basic 5.0 ActiveX Control project.
- Add a Label control to the UserControl.
Add the following code to the UserControl:
Public Property Let TheLoop(bLoop As Boolean) Dim oObject As Object Dim sName As String For Each oObject In ParentControls sName = oObject.Name Debug.Print sName Next End Property Public Property Get TheLoop() As Boolean End Property
- Select File...Add Project from the menu bar and add a Standard EXE project.
- Place an instance of UserControl1 (UserControl11) on Form1.
- Place three or four other controls on Form1.
- Select UserControl11 and change the TheLoop property.
- Repeat step 7. Note that an invalid page fault in Visual Basic results.
Additional query words: kbDSupport
Keywords: kbbug kbfix kbvbp500sp2fix kbvs97sp2fix KB171834