Microsoft KB Archive/171530
Article ID: 171530
Article Last Modified on 12/10/2003
- Microsoft Visual Basic 5.0 Control Creation Edition
- Microsoft Visual Basic 5.0 Learning Edition
- Microsoft Visual Basic 5.0 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Visual Basic 5.0 Enterprise Edition
This article was previously published under Q171530
Checking the Data Tips for an enumerated object in a Standard EXE (the client) after changing the name of the Enum in the ActiveX EXE project (the server) may generate the following error:
An untrapped error occurs within Visual Basic when the referenced type library becomes unavailable after the server is disconnected.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a bug in the Microsoft products listed at the beginning of this article. This bug has been fixed in Visual Studio 97 Service Pack 2.
For more information on the Visual Studio 97 Service Pack 2, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
170365 INFO: Visual Studio 97 Service Packs - What, Where, and Why
For a list of the Visual Basic 5.0 bugs that were fixed in the Visual Studio 97 Service Pack 2, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
171554 INFO: Visual Basic 5.0 Fixes in Visual Studio 97 Service Pack 2
Steps to Reproduce Behavior
- Create a new ActiveX EXE project in Visual Basic 5.0.
Place the following code in Class1:
Enum Test xxx yyy End Enum
- In the Project Properties Window, change the name of the project to "ProjectTest."
- Run the ActiveX EXE.
- Launch another instance of Visual Basic 5.0.
- Create a new Standard EXE project.
- Select Project...References and set a reference to ProjectTest.
- Select Project...Add Module to create a new module.
Place the following code in Module1:
Sub Main() Dim a as Test a = xxx Stop End Sub
- Select Project...Project1 Properties and set the startup object to Sub Main.
- Run the client (Project1).
- At the Stop statement, select the instance of Visual Basic where the server is running.
- Stop the server from running.
- Modify the Enum name to be "Test2."
- Run the server.
- Select the instance of Visual Basic where the client is running.
- Move the mouse over the "xxx" to view the Data Tip. This generates an invalid page fault in Visual Basic.
Keywords: kbbug kbfix kbvbp500sp2fix kbvs97sp2fix KB171530