Microsoft KB Archive/171502
Article ID: 171502
Article Last Modified on 11/18/2003
- Microsoft Visual Basic 5.0 Learning Edition
- Microsoft Visual Basic 5.0 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Visual Basic 5.0 Enterprise Edition
This article was previously published under Q171502
Visual Basic may crash when a Stop action or Breakpoint is encountered in the ReadProperties event of a UserControl.
The ReadProperties event occurs before a UserControl is completely loaded.
If a Runtime error, Stop statement, or Breakpoint is encountered during this time, and a Watch is set on a variable of the UserControl, Visual Basic may crash.
Install Visual Studio 97 Service Pack 2 (SP2) or do not use a Stop statement or Breakpoint in the ReadProperties event of a UserControl when a watch is set on a UserControl variable.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a bug in the Microsoft products listed at the beginning of this article. This bug has been fixed in Visual Studio 97 Service Pack 2.
For more information on the Visual Studio 97 Service Pack 2, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
170365 INFO: Visual Studio 97 Service Packs - What, Where, and Why
For a list of the Visual Basic 5.0 bugs that were fixed in the Visual Studio 97 Service Pack 2, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
171554 INFO: Visual Basic 5.0 Fixes in Visual Studio 97 Service Pack 2
This may occur if you are running in a multi-UserControl environment and set a watch value to the UserControl.
Steps to Reproduce Behavior
- Start a new Standard EXE project in Visual Basic 5.0.
- Insert a UserControl into the project by selecting "Add User Control" from the Project menu. Place an instance of the UserControl on Form1.
Paste the following code in the UserControl_Readproperties event:
Private Sub UserControl_ReadProperties(PropBag As PropertyBag) Stop End Sub
- Place a second instance of the UserControl on Form1.
Add the following watches:
- Press the F5 key to execute the project.
Keywords: kbbug kbfix kbvbp500sp2fix kbvs97sp2fix KB171502