Microsoft KB Archive/171471
Article ID: 171471
Article Last Modified on 11/18/2003
- Microsoft Visual Basic 5.0 Learning Edition
- Microsoft Visual Basic 5.0 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Visual Basic 5.0 Enterprise Edition
This article was previously published under Q171471
When printing forms, drawings within UserControls will not be printed. The problem occurs when you print forms from the Visual Basic 5.0 IDE using either the Print command on the File menu or the PrintForm method at run- time. The problem does not occur when the project is made into an EXE.
When a UserControl contains drawing methods within its Paint event, this event is not triggered in the IDE in the same way as it is when the UserControl is within a compiled application. The IDE disables this event when its Print functionality is used. This same behavior is apparent in Run Mode when using the PrintForm method.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a bug in the Microsoft products listed at the beginning of this article. This bug has been fixed in Visual Studio 97 Service Pack 2.
For more information on the Visual Studio 97 Service Pack 2, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
170365 : INFO: Visual Studio 97 Service Packs - What, Where, and Why
For a list of the Visual Basic 5.0 bugs that were fixed in the Visual Studio 97 Service Pack 2, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
171554 : INFO: Visual Basic 5.0 Fixes in Visual Studio 97 Service Pack 2
Steps to Reproduce Behavior
- Create a standard EXE project.
- Add a UserControl to this project.
Add the following code to the UserControl code window:
Private Sub UserControl_Paint() Dim r As Single Dim smidX As Single Dim smidY As Single UserControl.DrawWidth = 3 smidX = ScaleWidth / 2 smidY = ScaleHeight / 2 Do While smidX - r > 0 Circle (smidX, smidY), r r = r + 200 Loop End Sub
- Close the code window and the UserControl designer.
- Add an instance of the control to Form1.
- Click Print from the File menu. Select the Form Image option. Note that the graphics painted in the UserControl_Paint event do not appear on the printed output.
Additional query words: circle line
Keywords: kbbug kbfix kbvbp500sp2fix kbvs97sp2fix KB171471