Microsoft KB Archive/171384
Article ID: 171384
Article Last Modified on 8/17/2005
- Microsoft Publisher 3.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Windows NT 4.0
This article was previously published under Q171384
IMPORTANT: This article contains information about modifying the registry. Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry
When you run a Publisher PageWizard Design Assistant or attempt to insert a WordArt object in a Publisher file, you receive the following error message:
You may still be able to insert WordArt text effects using other Microsoft Office 97 programs.
The Office 97 programs include a set of special text effects referred to as WordArt. These WordArt text effects are different from the objects created by the WordArt program that ships with Microsoft Publisher and earlier versions of Microsoft Office.
Publisher uses a Registry key to locate the WordArt program file (Wordart32.exe). If that key is missing, or contains the wrong path, then you will not be able to insert WordArt into Publisher.
WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
- On the Windows Start menu, click Run.
- In the Open box, type Regedit, and then click OK.
In the left pane of the Registry Editor window, select the following Registry key:
- On the Registry menu, click Exit.
- Insert the Publisher Setup disk 1 or the Publisher compact disc into the appropriate drive.
- On the Windows Start menu, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
- Double-click the Add/Remove Programs icon.
- On the Install/Uninstall tab, double-click Microsoft Publisher 97 or Microsoft Publisher 95.
- In the Maintenance Mode dialog box, click Reinstall and follow the instructions on the screen.
Additional query words: pub95 pub97 pub3 pub4 mspub re-register 4.00 3.0 4.0 Word Art Escher OfficeArt Drawing Layer PowerPoint Excel works
Keywords: kberrmsg kbprb KB171384