Microsoft KB Archive/170940
Article ID: 170940
Article Last Modified on 1/20/2007
- Microsoft Word 97 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q170940
The first time you collapse and expand a password-protected sub-document within a Microsoft Word 97 master document, you are not prompted for a password. After the first time, you are prompted for the password.
To correct this problem, install Microsoft Word 97 for Windows, Service Release 1 (SR-1).
After you have inserted a password-protected sub-document in a master document, before you collapse and expand the sub-documents, save and close the master document. When you open (expand) the sub-documents, Word correctly prompts you for the password.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article. This problem was corrected in Microsoft Word 97 for Windows Service Release 1 (SR-1).
To save a Microsoft Word 97 document with a Password To Modify security, do the following:
- On the File menu, click Save As.
- Click Options, and under Password To Modify, type a password and then click OK.
- You will be asked to confirm your password. Retype the password in the Reenter password to modify area and then click OK.
- Type the name of your document in the File name box and then click Save.
Keywords: kbbug kbfix KB170940