Microsoft KB Archive/170937
Article ID: 170937
Article Last Modified on 1/20/2007
- Microsoft Word 97 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q170937
After you install a supplemental converter, you may not see the name of a supplemental text converter in the Files Of Type drop-down list in the Open dialog box.
In order for Microsoft Word to recognize the new converter, do the following:
- On the File menu, click Open.
- In the "Files of type" list, click "All Files (*.*)."
- Select the file that you are trying to open with the supplemental converter.
- Click Open.
To save a file in a foreign format that is not listed after you install a supplemental converter, follow these steps:
- Open a new blank document.
- On the File Menu, click Save As.
- In the "Save as Type" drop-down list, click a foreign file format such as Text Only (*.txt).
- Enter a name for the document and click Save.
- Close the new document then re-open the document you just closed.
This re-registers all of the installed text converters including any new converters.
- Open the original file that you want saved in the new file format.
- On the File menu, click Save As.
You should now see the foreign format that you want to use in the "Save as Type" list.
- Click to select the file type and then click Save.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in the Microsoft products listed at the beginning of this article.
Additional query words: saveas
Keywords: kbbug KB170937