Microsoft KB Archive/170919
Article ID: 170919
Article Last Modified on 5/12/2003
- Microsoft Visual FoxPro 3.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Visual FoxPro 3.0b Standard Edition
- Microsoft Visual FoxPro 5.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Visual FoxPro 5.0a
- Microsoft Visual FoxPro 3.0b for Macintosh
This article was previously published under Q170919
When you place a combobox in a grid, the following error might occur when you choose an item from the combobox:
If the RowSourceType is set to 6-Fields and the RowSource of the combobox is set to a field in the same table that the grid is bound to, then the error will occur.
Add the records of the field that the combobox is based on to an array and then basing the RowSource of the combobox on the array to prevent the error from occurring. You can also use a RowSourceType of 3-SQL Statement as another option.
To modify the form created in the Steps to Reproduce Behavior section below, make these changes to the form:
- From the Form menu, choose New Property. Type in "testarray[1,1]" (without quotes) as the name of the new property. Click Add.
In the Load method of the form, place the following code to populate the array:
SELECT company FROM customer INTO ARRAY Thisform.testarray ORDER BY 1
A modified version of the above SELECT statement can be used if the RowSourceType of the combobox is 3-SQL Statement. The modified statement below would be put in for the RowSource property:
SELECT company FROM customer INTO CURSOR test ORDER BY 1
Note that using a RowSourceType of either 3-SQL Statement or 5-Array will change the value in the customer field of the table. This happens because the control source property of the column is set to that field by default when the grid is created. With the RowSourceType of 6-Fields, the customer field is not changed. The combobox acts as a navigation control in this case. This would be redundant since the grid itself can be used as a navigation control.
Microsoft is researching this problem and will post new information here in the Microsoft Knowledge Base as it becomes available.
Steps to Reproduce Behavior
Type the following commands in the Visual FoxPro Command window to set the default folder and create a new form:
SET DEFAULT TO HOME()+"Samples\Data" CREATE FORM test
- Right-click on the form, and select Data Environment. Right-click in the Data Environment window, and select Add. Add the Customer table.
- Click on the heading of the table in the Data environment, drag it to the form, and release the button. After you release the mouse button, a grid appears on the form.
- Change the ColumnCount property of the grid to 3 or more.
- Right-click the grid, and click Edit.
- Click the combobox tool of the Forms Control toolbar and place it in the second column of the grid.
- Make the CurrentControl property of the second column equal to the combobox and also set the Sparse property of the column to false (.F.).
- Select the combobox and set the RowSourceType to 6-Fields and set the RowSource property to Customer.company, the second field in the table.
- Run the form, click the combobox, and select an item other than the current item.
The error "Record is not locked" will occur. If you click OK, the current record in the grid changes to the record for the item chosen in the combobox. If the fields are saved into an array and the combobox's RecordSourceType property is set to "Array" and the RecordSource is set to the array name, then the error will not occur nor will the record pointer move.
Keywords: kbprb KB170919