Microsoft KB Archive/170896
Microsoft Knowledge Base
HOWTO: Add SOFTIMAGE 3D to the Start Menu
Last reviewed: July 2, 1997
Article ID: Q170896
The information in this article applies to:
- Softimage 3D for Windows NT, version 3.7
When SOFTIMAGE 3D version 3.7 (NT 4.0) is installed, it installs an entry in the Start menu. Because the entry is installed as a personal menu item rather than a common item, it only appears in the Start Menu of the person who installed SOFTIMAGE 3D (usually the administrator). In order to make SOFTIMAGE 3D accessible to everyone from the Start Menu, you must complete the following procedure:
- As Administrator, open Windows NT Explorer and open the drive where Windows NT is installed.
Expand the Windows NT folder (usually called "winnt") by clicking the plus sign (+) beside the folder, then expand the "Profiles" folder.
In the "Profiles" folder, there is one folder for each user that logs on to the machine, and one folder called "All Users." "All Users" is the folder where common Start Menu items are stored.
- Expand the "All Users" folder, then the "Start Menu" folder. There is a folder in here call "Programs," where you will place the SOFTIMAGE 3D Program shortcuts.
- Next, expand the folder of the person who installed SOFTIMAGE 3D (usually "Administrator"). Then expand the "Start Menu" and the "Programs" folder.
- Click the "Programs" folder. The personal Start Menu items for the installer are located on the right-hand side of Explorer. One of the items listed is "SOFTIMAGE v3.7."
- Hold down the shift key and drag "SOFTIMAGE v3.7" to the "All Users\Start Menu\Programs" folder.
NOTE: If you are using NTFS you must also check that the permissions for the Shortcuts allow access to everyone.
- From Explorer, select the "All Users\Start Menu\Programs\SOFTIMAGE v3.7" folder.
- Select any one of the Shortcuts on the right-hand side of Explorer. Press the CTRL+A keys or, from the Edit menu, choose Select all.
- With all of the Shortcuts selected, click the right-mouse button on the group of files to open the Properties dialog box.
- From the Security tab, select the Permissions button. This shows who has permission to use these files. If "Everyone" is not listed as having read permission, the shortcuts will not show up in the Start Menu.
- Click the "Add" button at the bottom. From the dialog box, select "Everyone," and Click "Add." The default permission is Read, so click OK.
- Click "OK" in the open dialog boxes until you are back at Explorer. "Everyone" now has Read permission. In order for the changes to become activated, you must log out and log back in as any user.
You can now access SOFTIMAGE 3D from the Start Menu.
If you have any questions concerning information contained in this article, contact email@example.com by e-mail.
Keywords : kbgraphic kbsetup si si3d si3dsetup kbhowto
Last reviewed: July 2, 1997