Microsoft KB Archive/170491
Article ID: 170491
Article Last Modified on 10/28/2006
- Microsoft Exchange Server 4.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Exchange Server 5.0 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q170491
CAUTION: This article contains information about the Microsoft Exchange database utility (edbutil /d /r). Using it incorrectly can cause problems. Before you run this utility, you should first make a backup copy of the database files. Microsoft cannot guarantee that problems resulting from the use of the utility can be solved. Use this tool at your own risk.
When you run the command line utility Edbutil with the defragmentation option (/d) and the repair option (/r) on the private information store, it might fail to complete and you receive one of the following errors:
The following event is written in the event viewer:
Event ID: 1005 Source: MSExchangeSA Category: Monitoring Description: Unexpected error <<0xc0040000 - The Microsoft Exchange Server computer is not available. Either there are network problems or the Microsoft Exchange Server computer is down for maintenance. Microsoft Exchange Server Information Store ID no: 8004011d-0524-00000000>> occurred.
When you check the amount of free disk space on the drive that hosts the Exchange Bin directory (on drive C, for example), you may find only a few megabytes of disk space available. The drive that hosts the Exchange databases (drive D, for example) may have plenty of free disk space.
The following steps explain how to complete Edbutil /d /r in this case:
- Check the size of the C:\Exchsrvr\Bin\Tempdfrag.edb file. You will find that its size is smaller than the size of the Priv.edb file. Delete the C:\Exchsrvr\Bin\Tempdfrag.edb file.
- If the free disk space on drive D is only slightly greater than 1.2 times the size of the Priv.edb file, create a new directory D:\Exchsrvr\Bin and copy the Edbutil.exe and Edb.dll files from C:\Exchsrvr\Bin to the new directory.
If the free disk space on drive D is greater than 1.2 times the size of Priv.edb file by more than 38 MB, copy the C:\Exchsrvr\Bin directory to D:\Exchsrvr\.
If the free disk space on drive D is less than 1.2 times the size of the Priv.edb file, refer to the MORE INFORMATION section of this article.
- Run the following command:
d:\exchsrvr\bin\edbutil /d /r /ispriv
- After Edbutil completes successfully you can delete the D:\Exchsrvr\Bin directory to free the 37.4 MB of disk space.
Information about the options that you can use with the Edbutil command line utility is available. For additional information about this utility, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
143233 XADM: Command-Line Parameters for Edbutil.exe
If the information store fails to start because there is insufficient disk space (which might produce the same error ID -1808), you can attempt to reclaim disk space.
Keywords: kbprb KB170491