Microsoft KB Archive/170389
Microsoft Knowledge Base
INFO: Running SOFTIMAGE 3D and SOFTIMAGE Eddie Concurrently
Last reviewed: June 20, 1997
Article ID: Q170389
The information in this article applies to:
- Softimage 3D for IRIX, version 3.7
- Softimage Eddie for IRIX, version 3.5
Both SI3D and SI Eddie come complete with FLEXlm, but only one copy of FLEXlm is required to run the two products. When you install FLEXlm for both SI3D and SI Eddie, a conflict occurs that prevents one of the products from running.
If you have installed FLEXlm from both the SI3D and the SI Eddie CD-ROMs, you must reset the location of FLEXlm for SI Eddie so that it matches the SI3D FLEXlm location. You must also remove the copy of FLEXlm that you installed from the SI Eddie CD-ROM.
The following procedure assumes default installation paths:
Stop the FLEXlm daemon on the machine designated as the license server for SI Eddie. In a UNIX shell type:
/usr/local/flexlm/bin/lmdown -c /usr/local/flexlm/licenses/softimage.dat
- Using a text editor (jot or vi), copy the PACKAGE and INCREMENT lines of the SI Eddie license file (default location /usr/local/flexlm/licenses/softimage.dat) to the SI3D license file (default location /usr/softimage/flexlm/licenses/softimage.dat). Review the file and verify that duplicate information does not exist.
Copy the files lmsoftgrs and lmsoftgrsed from the SI Eddie FLEXlm directory to the SI3D FLEXlm directory. The following example assumes that FLEXlm is in the default location:
cp /usr/local/flexlm/bin/lmsoftgrs /usr/softimage/flexlm/bin cp /usr/local/flexlm/bin/lmsoftgrsed /usr/softimage/flexlm/bin
- If you are not using FLEXlm for other software products (excluding SI3D), delete the /usr/local/flexlm directory and the /etc/init.d/flexlm file. If you are using the FLEXlm licensing program for other products, you must remove the three files: lmsoftgrs, lmsoft, and lmsoftgrsed from /usr/local/flexlm/bin.
Restart FLEXlm from a UNIX shell with the following command:
If the LM_LICENSE_FILE environment variable in your .eddie file is set to LM_LICENSE_FILE=<location of softimage.dat>, you must modify the environment variable so it references the softimage.dat file in the SI3D FLEXlm directory.
For example, assuming that FLEXlm is in the default location the following line will appear in your .eddie file:
setenv LM_LICENSE_FILE /usr/local/flexlm/licenses/softimage.dat
Modify it as shown below:
setenv LM_LICENSE_FILE /usr/softimage/flexlm/licenses/softimage.dat
You must now source the .eddie file for this change to take effect. To do this, enter the following command:
- You can are now run SI3D and SI Eddie concurrently.
SOFTIMAGE 3D Installation Guide Version 3.7 for IRIX
If you have any problems with the information contained in this article, contact email@example.com by e-mail.
Keywords : ed edsetup kbgraphic kbsetup kbtshoot si si3d si3dinst si3dsetup kbinfo
Last reviewed: June 20, 1997