Microsoft KB Archive/169963
Article ID: 169963
Article Last Modified on 1/19/2007
- Microsoft PowerPoint 97 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Word 97 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Excel 97 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Office 97 Professional Edition
This article was previously published under Q169963
If you start Microsoft Bookshelf Basics from within Microsoft Office Binder 97, and then use the Copy To command to copy selected text, the program associated with the section is started, and the selected text is not pasted into the active section. This behavior occurs in Microsoft Excel 97, PowerPoint 97 and Word 97 sections.
To work around this problem, use the Copy command instead of the Copy To command, and then paste the selection into the active section.
Microsoft is researching this problem and will post new information here in the Microsoft Knowledge Base as it becomes available.
Microsoft Bookshelf is a multimedia reference collection with online books and materials you can use to look up and cite information. To find information, you can search for titles in a table of contents, or you can search for contents in a single reference or in all references at once.
When Microsoft Bookshelf 1996-97 (or earlier) or Microsoft Bookshelf Basics is installed with Microsoft Office 97, special Bookshelf commands are added to PowerPoint, Word, and Microsoft Excel. You can click Look Up Reference on the Tools menu to look up information in Bookshelf without ever leaving a presentation. You can also right-click a word in a presentation, and then click Define on the shortcut menu to quickly find a definition. You can copy entire articles or selected text and images from Bookshelf directly to a new or existing file, and Bookshelf automatically includes copyright information in the file.
Bookshelf Basics is included with Microsoft Office 97 Professional Edition.
Steps to Copy and Paste a Selection
You can copy an address, media, or text from Bookshelf articles and use them in another program, such as a word processor. To do this, follow these steps:
- To select an image, click the image and drag the pointer over it until a black border appears.
Enlarged images cannot be selected; press CTRL+C to copy enlarged images to the Clipboard.
- To copy Bookshelf text or images to the Clipboard, right-click the text or image you want to copy, and then click Copy.
- To copy pronunciations to the Clipboard, right-click the audio icon, and then click Copy.
- To copy selected text directly into Microsoft Excel, Word, or PowerPoint, right-click the text, point to the Copy To command, and then select the program to which you want to copy the text.
NOTE: If you're copying and pasting a table into Word, it may be necessary to reformat the text using the Text To Table command.
- To paste text from the Clipboard, move the insertion point to the location where you want to place the text or media, and then click Paste on the Edit menu.
Keywords: kbinterop kbprb KB169963