Microsoft KB Archive/169177
Article ID: 169177
Article Last Modified on 10/22/2000
- Microsoft Excel 97 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q169177
When you format the data labels for a series on a chart, you receive one of the following error messages:
Microsoft Windows 95
If you click Details, an error similar to the following appears:
If you click Close, Microsoft Excel closes.
Microsoft Windows NT
If you click OK, Microsoft Excel closes.
This problem occurs when all of the following conditions are true:
- You delete a single data label for a series in the chart. -and-
- The chart is partially hidden in a Microsoft Excel program window that is a restored size. -and-
- You format all the data labels for the series for which you deleted the data label.
To correct this problem, install Microsoft Excel 97 Service Release 1 (SR-1).
To work around this problem, do any of the following:
- Before you format data labels in the chart, maximize the Microsoft Excel program window. -or-
- Delete single data labels only after you format all other data labels for that chart series. -or-
- Format each data label individually. If you deleted a single data label, do not format all data labels together for that series.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Microsoft Excel 97 for Windows. This problem was corrected in Microsoft Excel 97 SR-1.
For additional information about SR-1, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
172475 OFF97: How to Obtain and Install MS Office 97 SR-1
Additional query words: XL97 crash gpf ipf sr1
Keywords: kberrmsg kbbug kbfix kbchart KB169177