Microsoft KB Archive/168956
Article ID: 168956
Article Last Modified on 10/22/2000
- Microsoft Excel 97 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q168956
When you drag and drop a merged cell in Microsoft Excel 97, you may receive the following error message:
This error message occurs if either of the following conditions is true:
- The location to which you are dragging the merged cell overlaps the original location of the merged cell. -or-
- The location to which you are dragging the merged cell overlaps another merged cell without completely covering it.
NOTE: If the new location of the merged cell completely covers another merged cell, the error message does not occur.
To prevent this error message from occurring, make sure that when you drag and drop a merged cell, the new location of the merged cell does not overlap any existing merged cells without completely covering them.
Microsoft Excel 97 includes a new feature that enables you to merge a range of cells into a single, merged cell. To use this feature, select the cells that you want to merge, and then perform either of the following steps:
- On the Format menu, click Cells. Select the Alignment tab. Click to select the Merge Cells check box, and click OK.
- Click the Merge And Center button on the Formatting toolbar.
Additional query words: XL97
Keywords: kberrmsg kbprb KB168956