Microsoft KB Archive/168566
Article ID: 168566
Article Last Modified on 6/14/2005
- Microsoft Systems Management Server 1.2 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q168566
When you attempt to run the Audit package on a client computer running Windows NT, you receive the following Audit32.exe application error:
Audit32.exe attempts to make a call to Ismif32.dll, located in the SystemRoot directory. Ismif32.dll is used to produce a status MIF for the Audit program. If Audit32 cannot find Ismif32.dll, this error message occurs.
The Ismif32.dll file will not be present if:
- The Package Command Manager (PCM) has been disabled. This option may have been disabled by clicking Clients under Site Properties. This may be where the PCM Service is in use on a Windows NT client and PCMWIN32 does not require distribution by means of Systems Management Server client setup. Ismif32.dll depends on Package Command Manager being enabled in the client site properties.
- A Windows NT Systems Management Server site server or logon server has not previously run the Systems Management Server script files Smsls.bat or Runsms.bat. If not, the Systems Management Server client components will not have been installed.
To work around this problem, do one of the following:
- Copy the Ismif32.dll and Ismif16.dll files into the <platform.bin> directory (for example, X86.bin, Mips.bin, or Alpha.bin) of the Audit package source, and resend the audit package to clients with the send option 'Even if previously sent' and the distribute option 'Refresh existing distribution servers' checked.
- If the client's Site Property for PCM is disabled, enable the property by checking the Package Command Manager option within the Clients window of the Site Properties.
- If a site or logon server has this problem, manually run Runsms.bat from the server's own SMS_SHR.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Systems Manager Server version 1.2. We are researching this problem and will post new information here in the Microsoft Knowledge Base as it becomes available.
Additional query words: status sms audit prodsms
Keywords: kbaudit kbbug kbinventory kbnetwork KB168566