Microsoft KB Archive/107994
Article ID: 107994
Article Last Modified on 9/26/1999
- Microsoft Windows for Workgroups 3.11
This article was previously published under Q107994
When you try to browse network connections from a Windows for Workgroups 3.11 workstation, you receive the following error message:
To work around this problem, manually insert the path for the computer name and share name.
You may also be able to work around this problem by doing one of the following:
- Run MS-DOS Prompt from the Program Manager Main group, and type exit to return to Windows for Workgroups.
- Run MS-DOS Prompt from the Program Manager Main group, type net view and then type exit to return to Windows for Workgroups.
- Increase the available conventional memory. Depending on your system configuration, you'll need 475 to 600K free for Windows for Workgroups to browse correctly.
- Remove all applications from your Program Manager Startup group.
- Use only one protocol.
- If you are using a third-party shell, switch back to Program Manager.
- The protocol file may be corrupt. Reinstall the protocol.
- Disabling NETWORK DDE may allow you to browse when memory optimization fails.
NOTE: If running MS-DOS Prompt corrects the problem, create a one-line batch file that reads COMMAND.COM /C. If running NET VIEW from MS-DOS Prompt corrects the problem, create a one-line batch file that reads COMMAND.COM /C NET VIEW. Name the batch file FIX.BAT and create an icon in the Startup group using FIX.BAT as the command line and Browse Fix as the Description.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Windows for Workgroups version 3.11. We are researching this problem and will post new information here in the Microsoft Knowledge Base as it becomes available.
If you try to connect to a network drive in File Manager, you may see only a workgroup name listed in the browse list. Trying to force the list of computers to appear by choosing the workgroup name may cause the error above to be displayed.
This error occurs only if the local computer is not providing the browse list.
Additional query words: 3.11 browsemaster unc universal naming convention browselist winnt