Microsoft KB Archive/107735
Setup Problem with Central Point (PC Tools) Desktop
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Word for Windows, version 6.0
- Microsoft Office for Windows, version 4.3
When you run Setup on a computer using Central Point PC Tools Desktop as the Windows shell, the following message may appear at the end of Setup:
Setup is not yet complete. You need to exit Windows and run the following application from DOS and then restart Windows: C:\WINDOWS\_MSRSTRT.EXE
NOTE: In the above message, C:\WINDOWS is the directory where Microsoft Windows is installed.
If you follow these instructions, Setup is complete. If not, Word Setup is incomplete, and problems may occur when you run Word.
To avoid this problem, disable PC Tools Desktop before you run Word Setup. Use the following instructions to disable PC Tools Desktop:
- Open your Windows SYSTEM.INI file in a text editor, such as Windows Notepad. SYSTEM.INI is located in the Windows directory.
In the [Boot] section of SYSTEM.INI, change the SHELL setting from
- Save the SYSTEM.INI file and quit the text editor.
- Quit and restart Windows, then run Setup.
The PC Tools Desktop products included here are manufactured by Central Point Software, vendors independent of Microsoft; we make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding these products' performance or reliability.
Additional query words: kbsetup pctools thirdparty 3rdparty winword third 3rd party
Issue type :
Last Reviewed: November 3, 2000