Microsoft KB Archive/107143
Word Hangs After Edit Repeat Typing Operation
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Word for Windows, version 6.0
Word for Windows may hang (stop responding) the second time you choose the Repeat Typing command from the Edit menu or press F4.
Word hangs if you type some text, insert a text box, and then run the Repeat Typing command twice. Word does not hang if you press ENTER to insert a paragraph mark before you insert the text box.
Press ENTER to insert a paragraph mark before you insert a text box. For example, if you use the following steps, Word does not hang:
- In a new Word document, type hello.
- Press ENTER.
IMPORTANT: If you skip this step, Word hangs after step 7.
- Display the Drawing toolbar by choosing the Drawing button on the Standard toolbar.
- Choose the Text Box button on the Drawing toolbar. Drag to create a text box.
- In the text box, type there.
- Select "hello" in the document.
- From the Edit menu, choose Repeat Typing. Repeat this step.
Note: If you skipped step 2 above, Word hangs now.
We are researching this problem and will post new information here in the Microsoft Knowledge Base as it becomes available.
"Microsoft Word User's Guide," version 6.0, Chapter 16, "Important and Creating Graphics," "Creating a Text Box" section
Additional query words: 6.0 hang hung crash crashed locks locked winword frozen freezes crashing quit quits stopped drawing layer word6
Issue type :
Last Reviewed: November 4, 2000