Microsoft KB Archive/106404
Borders Misalign in Framed, Indented Paragraphs
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Word for Windows, versions 2.0, 2.0a, 2.0a-CD, 2.0b, 2.0c, 6.0, 6.0a, 6.0c
In Word for Windows, paragraphs with different indentation settings that are contained in a single frame will display with separate borders instead of showing one border around the entire frame.
Borders around paragraphs in Word are placed directly around the text area, whether or not the paragraph is formatted for indentation. If no paragraph indentation is set, a border set around the paragraph will go from the left margin to the right margin, even if the paragraph contains only one character.
This functionality takes precedence over frame borders in Word, so it is not currently possible to have one contiguous border around a frame containing multiple paragraphs with different indentation.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Microsoft Word for Windows, versions 2.x and 6.0. We are researching this problem and will post new information here in the Microsoft Knowledge Base as it becomes available.
Set indentation on all paragraphs contained in a frame to the same value.
Alternatively, in Word 6.0, you can use the frame and text box feature together to simulate the desired results, as described in the following instructions. The text box feature is not available in Word 2.x.
- Create a Text Box by selecting the Text Box tool from the Drawing toolbar, then drawing a box in the location where the framed text is desired.
- Type the desired text in the box, and apply the desired indentations.
- Select the border of the Text Box, then click the Line Color tool on the Drawing toolbar.
- In the Line Color dialog box, select None.
- From the Insert menu, choose Frame, then draw a frame of the desired size around the text box. The text box should anchor to the paragraph mark in the frame, so when the frame is moved, the text box will move with it.
For more information on how Word handles paragraph indentation in frames, query on the following words in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
frame and indented and misalignment and winword
Additional query words: 2.0 6.0 word6 winword2 winword
Keywords : kbframe
Issue type :
Last Reviewed: November 4, 2000