Microsoft KB Archive/105193
Connect To Printer Option May Disappear After Group Change
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Windows NT Server version 3.1
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation version 3.1
- Microsoft Windows NT Advanced Server, version 3.1
When a User who was once a member of the Administrators group is changed to another group (removed from the Administrators group), the Connect to Printer option in Print Manager may disappear. If the User has never logged on to their account while a member of Administrators, this problem does not occur. Once that account has been used at least once and the User is then placed in another group, the Connect To Printer option disappears.
There are currently two workarounds to this problem:
- Use Create Printer rather than Connect to Printer and to specify the network path to this printer. The disadvantage to this is that the printer driver will have to be loaded locally.
- Recreate the account for this user without first giving this user Administrator rights. The disadvantage of this is that all the users settings, personal program groups, and other customized information will have to be recreated.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Windows NT version 3.1 and Windows NT Advanced Server version 3.1. We are researching this problem and will post new information here in the Microsoft Knowledge Base as it becomes available.
Steps to Reproduce Problem
- Create 2 users in the User Manager. For reference, let us call one user User1, the other User2. Place User1 in the Power Users group, User2 in Administrators.
- Log off, then log on as User2. Open Print Manager and note the availability of the option to Connect To Printer on the Printer menu.
- Log off, then log on as User1. Again, note the availability of the Connect To Printer option. This user, as a member of the Power Users group, demonstrates the fact that a Power User should see this option.
- Log off, then log on as Administrator. Remove User2 from the Administrators group and place this user into the Power Users group.
- Log off, then log on as User2. Note that the option to Connect To Printer is no longer available.
Additional query words: prodnt
Keywords : kbtool
Issue type :
Technology : kbWinNTsearch kbWinNTWsearch kbWinNTW310 kbWinNTSsearch kbWinNTS310 kbWinNTAdvSerSearch kbWinNTAdvServ310 kbWinNTS310xsearch kbWinNT310xSearch kbWinNTW310Search
Last Reviewed: October 27, 2000