Microsoft KB Archive/104659
How to Use the Same Mail (.MMF) File from Different Computers
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Windows NT Server version 3.1
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation version 3.1
- Microsoft Windows NT Advanced Server, version 3.1
Users can have access to the same Mail message file (.MMF) from more than one computer. To do this, the user's message file is stored on the postoffice server instead of the local computer.
NOTE: Mail message files on the postoffice server may take a very large amount of disk space; make sure that the server has an adequate amount of hard disk space before storing message files on it.
To access the same message file from more than one computer, do the following:
- Open Mail on the first computer and from the Mail menu, choose Options. Then choose Server and select Post Office as the Storage location.
- On this same computer, choose Address Book from the Mail menu, and make note of the name of the Mailbox for this user by choosing Details.
- The message file for this user will be automatically moved to the WGPO\MMF subdirectory on the Postoffice server and renamed to 00000001.MMF or a similarly incremented number.
- Exit and sign out of Mail on this computer.
Open Mail on a second computer, choose Connect to an existing postoffice and point to the correct \\SERVER\WGPO where the postoffice server is located.
NOTE: If an account has already been established at the second computer, it will be necessary to recreate the Mail initialization procedure before doing this step. For information on how to do this, query on the following words in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
recreate and postoffice
- When you are prompted on if you have an account, choose Yes and enter the existing Mailbox name and password that is being used on the first computer.
Both computers can now use the same message file, which is stored on the server. This procedure can also be used on other computers.
NOTE: Mail cannot be open on two computers at the same time.
Additional query words: prodnt
Keywords : kbtool
Issue type :
Technology : kbWinNTsearch kbWinNTWsearch kbWinNTW310 kbWinNTSsearch kbWinNTS310 kbWinNTAdvSerSearch kbWinNTAdvServ310 kbWinNTS310xsearch kbWinNT310xSearch kbWinNTW310Search
Last Reviewed: October 27, 2000