Microsoft KB Archive/104575
Cannot Drag Multiple Files in File Manager Search Window
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Windows NT Server version 3.1
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation version 3.1
- Microsoft Windows NT Advanced Server, version 3.1
After you search for particular files in the Windows NT File Manager, you may not be able to select numerous files from the Search window and drag them to another directory or to another drive.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Windows NT version 3.1 and Windows NT Advanced Server version 3.1. We are researching this problem and will post new information here in the Microsoft Knowledge Base as it becomes available.
Steps to Reproduce Problem
- In the File Manager window, select the SYSTEM32 subdirectory.
- From the File menu, choose Search, and then use *.EXE for the type of files to search for.
- Select the top file and hold down the SHIFT key and highlight ten files down.
- Release the SHIFT key.
- Point to the area of selected files (but not the last file) and press and hold the mouse button (as if to drag them).
At this point, the previously selected files may be deselected and only the file closest to the point where you were attempting to drag from will be selected.
In earlier versions of Windows, the files stay selected and it is possible to drag them to a new destination.
Additional query words: wfw wfwg prodnt
Keywords : kbtool
Issue type :
Technology : kbWinNTsearch kbWinNTWsearch kbWinNTW310 kbWinNTSsearch kbWinNTS310 kbWinNTAdvSerSearch kbWinNTAdvServ310 kbWinNTS310xsearch kbWinNT310xSearch kbWinNTW310Search
Last Reviewed: October 27, 2000