Microsoft KB Archive/103999
ACC1x: GP Fault Referencing Column Property of Combo Box
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Access 1.1
The following messages will appear when you are trying to reference the Column property of a combo box in Datasheet view:
- An error has occurred in your application. If you choose Ignore, you should save your work in a new file. If you choose Close, your application will terminate
- Application Error: Microsoft Access caused a General Protection Fault in module MSAIN110.DLL
The general protection (GP) fault will occur under the following conditions:
- The combo box has a query or table as the RowSource.
- The form must be opened directly into Datasheet view.
- A selection has been made in the combo box.
- The Column property of the combo box is referenced in an expression.
The following methods can be used to work around the problem:
If the form will only be used in Datasheet view, use a list box instead of a combo box. A list box is functionally equivalent to a combo box in Datasheet view.
If the form will be used in both Datasheet view and Form view, make sure the form is opened in Form view first. The following macro can be used to open the form in Form view, then in Datasheet view:
Action Described Below ------------------------- Echo 1 OpenForm 2 OpenForm 3 Echo 4 Macro Actions ------------- 1. Echo Echo On: No 2. OpenForm Form Name: MyForm View: Form 3. OpenForm Form Name: <your form name here> View: Datasheet 4. Echo Echo On: Yes
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Microsoft Access version 1.1. This problem no longer occurs in Microsoft Access version 2.0.
Steps to Reproduce Problem
- Open the sample database NWIND.MDB in Microsoft Access version 1.1.
- Create a blank, unbound, form with the following form properties:
- Create a combo box on the form with the following properties:
- Close and save the form with the name "MyForm".
- Open the form from the Database window and make a selection in the combo box.
- With the form left open, create a new module.
- From the View menu, choose Immediate window.
- Type the following, and then press ENTER:
Additional query words: combo box list box GPF
Keywords : kbusage
Issue type : kbbug
Last Reviewed: November 4, 2000