Microsoft KB Archive/103104
Article ID: 103104
Article Last Modified on 2/20/2007
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Windows NT Advanced Server 3.1
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 3.51
This article was previously published under Q103104
When the 16-bit Windows or Windows on Windows (WOW) subsystem starts, the following error message is displayed:
NOTE: The WOW subsystem may be started automatically when you start Windows NT or the first time you run a 16-bit Windows-based application.
One or more of the following conditions exists in Microsoft Windows NT or Windows NT Advanced Server:
- HIMEM.SYS or DOSX.EXE is missing or corrupt in the SYSTEM32 directory.
- HIMEM.SYS is not being loaded in the CONFIG.NT file.
- DOSX.EXE is not being loaded in the AUTOEXEC.NT file.
Make sure that the line, "device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys," exists in the CONFIG.NT file.
Make sure that the line, "lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx.exe," exists in the AUTOEXEC.NT file.
Expand HIMEM.SYS, DOSX.EXE, or both from the Windows NT setup disks or CD- ROM disc if either or both are missing from the SYSTEM32 directory.
For more information on DOSX.EXE, query on the following keywords in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
WOW and 16-BIT
Additional query words: wfw wfwg prodnt wow 16-bit