Microsoft KB Archive/101238
Article ID: 101238
Article Last Modified on 10/13/2003
- Microsoft Windows for Workgroups 3.1
- Microsoft Windows for Workgroups 3.11
This article was previously published under Q101238
If you use the NETAPI.DLL file and NetWare with Microsoft Windows for Workgroups (WFWG) version 3.1, you receive the following error message:
The NETAPI.DLL file included with WINUP7.ZIP is designed for use with Microsoft Windows 3.1.
The NETAPI.DLL file included with WINUP8.ZIP is designed to add support for Novell named pipes. Windows for Workgroups 3.1 and 3.11 do not support Novell named pipes.
To correct the problem, follow these steps:
- Close the error message. This exits Windows for Workgroups.
- Rename the NETAPI.DLL file in the \WINROOT directory and any others found in the PATH statement.
- Use the NETAPI.DLL file provided with Windows for Workgroups by expanding it from your original disks. For example, type the following at the MS-DOS command prompt, and then press ENTER:
expand a:\netapi.dl_ c:\windows\system\netapi.dll
NOTE: Refer to the following table to determine on which disk the NETAPI.DL_ file is located:
5.25-inch disks 3.5-inch disks --------------------------------------------- WFWG 3.1 disk 1 disk 2 WFWG 3.11 disk 8 disk 7
For additional information, please see the following article(s) in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
121462 Obtaining Latest Novell Client Windows Drivers and DLLs
For more information on named pipes, query on the following words here in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
novell named pipes
The Novell products included here are manufactured by a vendor independent of Microsoft; we make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding these products' performance or reliability.
Additional query words: 3.1 3.10 3.11 novell \WINROOT OLDDLLS subdirectory