Microsoft KB Archive/101182
Article ID: 101182
Article Last Modified on 8/16/2005
- Microsoft Publisher 2.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Publisher 2.0a
- Microsoft Publisher 3.0 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q101182
If you change the attributes of a Publisher document to read only, you cannot open more than one session of the document at a time. This is by design.
Most Windows-based applications allow you to open more than one session of a file if it is a read-only file. For example, if an Excel Worksheet document is read only, it can be opened simultaneously from several workstations at once (though no changes can be made to it). A Microsoft Publisher 2.0 document marked as read only can only be opened in one session at a time. If an attempt is made to open a second session of a read-only Publisher document, the following message appears:
Steps to Reproduce Problem
- Open or switch to Microsoft Publisher.
- Create a publication and save it.
- Close the publication and run or switch to File Manager.
- Select the publication file and choose the Properties command from the File menu. In the Attributes group box, select Read Only.
- Switch back to Publisher and open the publication (it will open normally).
- Open a second instance of Publisher and attempt to open a second session of the publication. The message "File is already being used..." appears.
Additional query words: 2.00 2.00a pub3 mspub pub97
Keywords: kbinfo kbusage KB101182