Microsoft KB Archive/100348
Article ID: 100348
Article Last Modified on 11/1/2006
- Microsoft Windows NT Advanced Server 3.1
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 3.1
This article was previously published under Q100348
You may receive the following error message when installing Windows NT on a Compaq Prosignia or SystemPro/XL:
This error message is caused by the way memory is configured on Compaq SystemPro/XL and Compaq Prosignia computers. The factory default is "640K Linear." To successfully install Windows NT, you need to change this to "640K Compaq Compatible."
To make the necessary change, follow these steps:
- Boot your computer with the Compaq System Configuration disk.
- At the first screen, press CTRL+A for Advanced Configuration.
- Press ENTER.
- Choose "Configure computer" from the main menu.
- From EISA Configuration Utility, choose "View or edit details."
- Select Compaq Memory.
- Select Base Memory and press ENTER.
- Select 640 Kbytes, Compaq Compatible.
- Press ENTER.
- If asked to reconfigure memory addresses press OK.
- Press F10.
- From EISA Configuration Utility choose "Save and Exit."
- Save the configuration and press OK to reboot.
The Compaq Prosignia and SystemPro/XL are manufactured by Compaq Computer, a vendor independent of Microsoft; we make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.
Additional query words: prodnt
Keywords: kbhardware kbsetup KB100348