Microsoft KB Archive/100098
Installing MS Word File Converters and Graphic Filters
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Windows 3.1
- Microsoft Word for Windows, version 2.0c
Some graphic filters and file converters from Microsoft Word for Windows, version 2.0c, are not preinstalled on the Hewlett-Packard (HP) OmniBook 300, but can be installed if they are available.
OmniBook owners are licensed for the full software package of each product, but only part of each software package comes preinstalled. You can contact Hewlett-Packard to obtain the additional files.
Since Windows is installed in the OmniBook's read-only memory (ROM), the WINDIR environment variable is set to the ROM drive (usually drive D). This can prevent additional file converters and graphic filters from being installed because they automatically install in the <WINDIR>\MSAPPS directory.
If you want to install additional file converters or graphic filters, do the following:
- Use a text editor (such as Microsoft Windows Notepad) to create a file called WINSTART.BAT.
Type the following on the first line:
Note: The SET WINDIR variable should be set to the Flash random-access memory (RAM) drive. In this example, the Flash RAM is located on drive C.
- Save the file in the Windows directory on the Flash RAM drive.
- Quit and restart Windows. This changes the WINDIR environment variable from the Flash ROM drive to the Flash RAM drive.
- From Control Panel, use LapLink Remote to connect to a computer with a full version of Word for Windows. For information on using LapLink Remote, refer to "Making a Serial Connection to a PC" in the "HP OmniBook 300 Operating Guide."
- Expand Word for Windows. For more information, refer to "To expand from Microsoft Word for Windows 2.0" in the "HP OmniBook 300 Operating Guide."
- Once you've installed the additional file converters and graphic filters, quit Windows and delete the WINSTART.BAT created in step 1.
The OmniBook 300 is manufactured by Hewlett-Packard, a vendor independent of Microsoft; we make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.
"HP OmniBook 300 Operating Guide," version 300
Additional query words: 2.00c 3.10 Hewlett Packard OmniBook 300 win31
Version : WINDOWS:2.0c,3.1
Platform : WINDOWS
Issue type :
Last Reviewed: October 12, 1999