86Box settings and procedure help to install Windows NT Server "Cairo" Build 1175

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
Emir214

86Box settings and procedure help to install Windows NT Server "Cairo" Build 1175

Post by Emir214 »

NOTE: This post was edited multiple times since posting.

What would be the best settings to install Cairo build 1175 on 86Box (EDIT: 4.0.1 build 5111) running on a macos host (EDIT: macos Monterey 12.7)? I end up being stuck on the "Preparing for Installation" part of the GUI setup.

I am running:
  • 86Box 4.0.1 [build 5111]
  • Machine Type: Socket 7 (Dual Voltage)
  • Machine: [i430VX] Epox P55-VA
  • CPU Type: Intel Pentium MMX
  • Speed: 186
  • Memory: 128 MB
  • Video: [PCI] S3 Trio32 (Phoenix)
  • Voodoo Graphics enabled
  • Mouse: Standard PS/2 Mouse
  • Sound card: [ISA16] Sound Blaster 16
  • Network Adapter: [ISA] 3Com EtherLink (3c500/3c501)
  • HD Controller: [PCI] IDE Controller
  • FD Controller: Internal controller
  • Two virtual disks, each with 1024 MB capacity: IDE (0:0) and IDE (1:0)
  • 3.5" 1.44M floppy drive, check BPB on, Turbo off
  • ATAPI (0:1) 8x NEC CD-ROM Drive:280 3.08, Bus: ATAPI, Channel: 0:1
Steps:
1. Booted to Microsoft Windows 95 OSR2 - Boot Disk (Dell OEM) (3.5-1.44mb)
2. Ran fdisk on the two virtual disks, large disk support not enabled
3. Ran format on the two virtual disks
4. Ran E:i386\winnt.exe from the Cairo ISO from WinWorldPC, all files copied, no BANANA.ANI error
5. Used boot disks from WinWorldPC on next part of setup
6. Convert C: to NTFS
7. Files copied
8. Portion completed

9. Restart

10. Welcome to Windows NT Setup

11. Preparing for Installation hangs

EDIT: After discovering in the comments section of the WinWorldPC page that the Cairo 1175 WinWorldPC upload may be a mislabeled NT 4.0 SUR 1175, I tried creating bootdisks from scratch using \i386\winnt on the ISO from BA. I got an error during the creation of boot disk # 3 that Setup was unable to copy ofssetup.sys:

I noticed that boot disk # 3 from WinWorldPC did not include ofssetup.sys. Boot disks #1 and # 2 from the same site did not include this file as well.

Boot disk # 3

Boot disk # 1

Boot disk # 2:

EDIT: It might be possible that ofssetup.sys is supposed to end up on the hard disk and not on the boot disk. I re-ran \i386\winnt on the ISO from BA, but used the /x switch to skip making bootdisks. I did not get the error that Setup was unable to copy ofssetup.sys.

I checked the contents of boot disk # 3 and it turns out that ofssetup.sys was copied, but with a different file date from the other files:

EDIT: This led to a bad image checksum error later in Setup:

EDIT: Ran Setup again. Second part of setup does not recognize bootdisk 2 I made, so I used boot disk 2 from WinWorldPC. Also used bootdisk 3 from the same site. I ended up with the frozen "Preparing for Installation" window.

EDIT: Turns out a 2.88 MB diskette is required for bootdisk 3 because of the file size of ofssetup.sys.

EDIT: Tried floppyless setup. Still gets stuck on the Preparing for Installation window.

EDIT: Tried recommended settings for NT 4.0 from here. Set BIOS clock back to compile date. Still stuck on the Preparing for Installation window. I give up.

Emir214

Re: 86Box settings and procedure help to install Windows NT Server "Cairo" Build 1175

Post by Emir214 »

Problem solved. Turns out the hard disk should be in IMG format, not VHD.

AlphaBeta
Donator

Re: 86Box settings and procedure help to install Windows NT Server "Cairo" Build 1175

Post by AlphaBeta »

The image format should not affect things, weird
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

Emir214

Post by Emir214 »

AlphaBeta wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:36 pm
The image format should not affect things, weird
Thank you for the reply. Turns out Cairo can accept VHDs, but they must be fixed-size VHDs.