My project thread can no longer be edited.

Problem with the site? Got a suggestion? Got feedback? Post here and the staff will discuss it with you.
anonymous74

My project thread can no longer be edited.

Post by anonymous74 »

I'm currently working on a project to install every build of Windows Vista in VMware. I took a break for a couple of weeks, and when I came back I noticed that I could no longer edit the post in the thread where I update the builds that I have installed. I've seen in other threads that this is intentional, and it is to prevent a post from having its content removed, which makes sense. I was wondering since this is a different case whether this can be changed for my thread? If not, should I just copy the contents into a new thread and start over? Thank you.

Here is a link to my thread: viewtopic.php?t=42342
I collect old laptops and mess with old software.

Check out my website for vintage computer reference information, info on my collection, and more!

My projects are currently on indefinite hiatus due to lack of motivation. See my past ones here: https://www.betaarchive.com/wiki/index. ... nonymous74

ATeamInc

Re: My project thread can no longer be edited.

Post by ATeamInc »

If I'm not mistaken, you're not allowed to edit posts that are about 1 month old or more.

This was done because back at the day (~2008) many people were editing their posts and placing some kind of garbage phrase when they were banned or something.

Win7

Post by Win7 »

ATeamInc wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:41 am
If I'm not mistaken, you're not allowed to edit posts that are about 1 month old or more.

This was done because back at the day (~2008) many people were editing their posts and placing some kind of garbage phrase when they were banned or something.
Actually this policy was enforced no earlier than four, maybe five, years ago, after one of the users, who wanted to delete his account, proceeded to edit all of his posts replacing their content with a [deleted] tag...

Win7

x010
Staff

Post by x010 »

anonymous74 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:07 am
I'm currently working on a project to install every build of Windows Vista in VMware. I took a break for a couple of weeks, and when I came back I noticed that I could no longer edit the post in the thread where I update the builds that I have installed. I've seen in other threads that this is intentional, and it is to prevent a post from having its content removed, which makes sense. I was wondering since this is a different case whether this can be changed for my thread? If not, should I just copy the contents into a new thread and start over? Thank you.

Here is a link to my thread: viewtopic.php?t=42342
It's automatic and role-based. Whether this can be lifted for you is not something I am sure, because from my end the post is set as unlocked. I don't like the idea of copying the contents to a new thread, but if nothing else, that can be done and we can move the comments over as well.

ATeamInc

Post by ATeamInc »

Win7 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:59 am
ATeamInc wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:41 am

Actually this policy was enforced no earlier than four, maybe five, years ago, after one of the users, who wanted to delete his account, proceeded to edit all of his posts replacing their content with a [deleted] tag...

Win7
Of course this is not from just one user. These kinds of things existed since at least the timeframe I mentioned. Maybe it was the last straw, sure.

anonymous74

Post by anonymous74 »

Thanks for the reply! I don't want to cause anyone any trouble, so do whatever is easiest for you.

Check out my website for vintage computer reference information, info on my collection, and more!

My projects are currently on indefinite hiatus due to lack of motivation. See my past ones here: https://www.betaarchive.com/wiki/index. ... nonymous74

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Unfortunately there is no way to override this on a per-user basis or I would enable that ability for you. I will discuss if we can remove or at least extend the limit board wide as this was only put in place several years ago after a bout of people editing their posts.

We could also get you to make a new post and we could merge the original into it.

x010
Staff

Post by x010 »

Andy wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:51 pm
Unfortunately there is no way to override this on a per-user basis or I would enable that ability for you. I will discuss if we can remove or at least extend the limit board wide as this was only put in place several years ago after a bout of people editing their posts.

We could also get you to make a new post and we could merge the original into it.
I would prefer this limit be retained in general, because we do have cases where users try to delete posts by removing their contents from time to time.

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

x010 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:00 pm
Andy wrote:

I would prefer this limit be retained in general, because we do have cases where users try to delete posts by removing their contents from time to time.
The "real" solution to this would be daily backups and/or the ability to rollback any user's edits by admins. This would have saved all the content by that individual back when it happened, and it would have removed the need for putting this arbitrary lock in place which now only annoys everyone else, while said individual has long since left BA
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

x010
Staff

Post by x010 »

Darkstar wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:48 pm
x010 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:00 pm
Andy wrote:

The "real" solution to this would be daily backups and/or the ability to rollback any user's edits by admins. This would have saved all the content by that individual back when it happened, and it would have removed the need for putting this arbitrary lock in place which now only annoys everyone else, while said individual has long since left BA
If this was the wiki I'd agree with you, but I don't think the forum has an option to store editing history (at least not without a mod). And backups are nice, but they are a pain to restore and cause the loss of other users' edits.

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

x010 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:52 pm
Darkstar wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:48 pm
If this was the wiki I'd agree with you, but I don't think the forum has an option to store editing history (at least not without a mod). And backups are nice, but they are a pain to restore and cause the loss of other users' edits.
Of course you should not simply restore the backup. But you can restore the database file, and use two simple SQL queries to find the blanked content in the production db, pull the corresponding posts from the backup db, then restore it with a third SQL query. Takes maybe 30 minutes (at least that's how something like this usually takes me when I have to restore production data in an MSSQL database ;-) )
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

anonymous74

Post by anonymous74 »

I'll leave you all to sort this out, but I'm fine with whatever you decide. I would really have to get in gear to make sure I don't let 30 days lapse again if a new topic is what you decide. *hehe*

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

Here is another recent example of how one person, acting in bad faith, can sabotage the discussion for dozens of other users by getting random threads locked.

Why a random thread getting locked is preferred to that individual being banned is beyond me

anonymous74

Post by anonymous74 »

Are there any updates on this? I want to get started with my project once again.

x010
Staff

Post by x010 »

anonymous74 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:05 am
Are there any updates on this? I want to get started with my project once again.
So I took a look at this, but unfortunately the answer is that you don't have much of a choice, unless Andy overrides the 30-day posting limit (which I cannot do). His alternative method of splitting/merging will not work because phpBB sorts the posts in a topic, and there is no way to override that or to change the date of a post.

There's an alternative however - if you want, you can create a page on the wiki as your post (say User:Anonymous74/topic_Name) and I'll link it to here from the old post that you cannot edit. The wiki is not subject to any 30-day posting requirement.

anonymous74

Post by anonymous74 »

Thank you for the time you've put into this. I think the wiki solution should work fine. Don't I have to sign up separately though? I'll have to figure that out tomorrow.

x010
Staff

Post by x010 »

anonymous74 wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 3:06 am
Thank you for the time you've put into this. I think the wiki solution should work fine. Don't I have to sign up separately though? I'll have to figure that out tomorrow.
Yes, you do have to sign up separately at this time (which is straightforward). The only thing you'll need to be aware are the wiki-specific requirements (we do not use the forum's image uploader, and Screenshot Gallery categorisation is needed). Once you've created a wiki account, just upload images like you'd do at any MediaWiki installation (that is, Special:Upload). Let me know if there are any issues.

anonymous74

Post by anonymous74 »

I’m not at all experienced with MediaWiki and how it works, but I should be able to figure it out. I’ll let you know when I do get everything moved over so you can edit the link onto the post. Thanks again for all your help during this, I appreciate it a ton!

anonymous74

Post by anonymous74 »

I've finally gotten my page formatted enough that I'm ready for you to make the edit to the post on my original thread.
You can add "All further progress on my project can be found on (link)this(link) page on the BA Wiki. Any further screenshots are in a new reply at the bottom of the thread due to the 30 day post edit limit" to the top of the thread.

Thanks for all the help X010 on getting this sorted out and moved over to the Wiki. And thanks for the formatting assistance!

x010
Staff

Post by x010 »

anonymous74 wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 6:07 pm
I've finally gotten my page formatted enough that I'm ready for you to make the edit to the post on my original thread.
You can add "All further progress on my project can be found on (link)this(link) page on the BA Wiki. Any further screenshots are in a new reply at the bottom of the thread due to the 30 day post edit limit" to the top of the thread.

Thanks for all the help X010 on getting this sorted out and moved over to the Wiki. And thanks for the formatting assistance!
Done. That being said, you can also upload the screenshots in the same page on the wiki - the process isn't much different and will allow you to put it all in one page.