BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 59d, 23h, 59m | CPU: 21% | MEM: 5042MB of 12191MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Corrupted Windows XP build 2463        Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:38 am 
FTP Access

I read this and downloaded the ISO provided by gus33000 to try to fix it. I found that the ISO is not corrupted but truncated and another truncated ISO (Windows 2000 RC2 Professional) got appended to it somehow.

Well, the first 152387584 bytes of the ISO belongs to Windows XP build 2463 and the rest belongs to Windows 2000 RC2. Both ISOs are truncated but the first 152387584 bytes are purely from Windows XP build 2463 and in the I386 directory, files from 3DFXVS2K.IN_ to FP4.CA_ are fine, FP40EXT.CAB is truncated and files afterwards are missing.

Maybe we could add the first part of the ISO to the FTP since it purely belongs to build 2463 and is just truncated. The Incomplete section should be fine for it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Corrupted Windows XP build 2463        Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:00 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows, OS/2, DOS
I've noticed this too when I've wanted to see something in this build time ago.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Corrupted Windows XP build 2463        Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:56 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
I wonder how it could happen. Maybe FTP uploading corruption? HDD corruption?
I am not really sure, what could cause a part of file to be replaced with part of different file.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Corrupted Windows XP build 2463        Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:58 pm 

Failure in FTP upload process is unlikely to cause that but filesystem corruption can do such things easily. Trivial on FAT, but could happen even with NTFS.

Like: if one file was on USB-stick and then another file was written "on top" then pulling USB stick without unmounting it first could easily cause such corruption.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Corrupted Windows XP build 2463        Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:04 am 
Donator

Most of these Whistler builds came from old FTP servers back in the early 2000s. Back then people would use dial up internet to download builds. They get easily corrupted as it'll take days over 56kbps and paused many times. Sometimes people don't check what they downloaded and upload their corrupted iso back onto the net. Those FTPs don't use RARs either so unless one installs them, they wouldn't know. Here releases are verified before making them available, but it wasn't the cause on personal FTP back in the day. Corrupted ISOs would be offered and duplicated. Corrupted 2458 and 3615 spread everywhere.

Top  Profile