Corrupted Windows XP build 2463

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
Lucas Brooks

Corrupted Windows XP build 2463

Post by Lucas Brooks »

I read this and downloaded the ISO provided by gus33000 to try to fix it. I found that the ISO is not corrupted but truncated and another truncated ISO (Windows 2000 RC2 Professional) got appended to it somehow.

Well, the first 152387584 bytes of the ISO belongs to Windows XP build 2463 and the rest belongs to Windows 2000 RC2. Both ISOs are truncated but the first 152387584 bytes are purely from Windows XP build 2463 and in the I386 directory, files from 3DFXVS2K.IN_ to FP4.CA_ are fine, FP40EXT.CAB is truncated and files afterwards are missing.

Maybe we could add the first part of the ISO to the FTP since it purely belongs to build 2463 and is just truncated. The Incomplete section should be fine for it.

TheCollector1988
Donator

Re: Corrupted Windows XP build 2463

Post by TheCollector1988 »

I've noticed this too when I've wanted to see something in this build time ago.

tjd2

Post by tjd2 »

I wonder how it could happen. Maybe FTP uploading corruption? HDD corruption?
I am not really sure, what could cause a part of file to be replaced with part of different file.

zde

Post by zde »

Failure in FTP upload process is unlikely to cause that but filesystem corruption can do such things easily. Trivial on FAT, but could happen even with NTFS.

Like: if one file was on USB-stick and then another file was written "on top" then pulling USB stick without unmounting it first could easily cause such corruption.

XDude
Donator

Post by XDude »

Most of these Whistler builds came from old FTP servers back in the early 2000s. Back then people would use dial up internet to download builds. They get easily corrupted as it'll take days over 56kbps and paused many times. Sometimes people don't check what they downloaded and upload their corrupted iso back onto the net. Those FTPs don't use RARs either so unless one installs them, they wouldn't know. Here releases are verified before making them available, but it wasn't the cause on personal FTP back in the day. Corrupted ISOs would be offered and duplicated. Corrupted 2458 and 3615 spread everywhere.

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

OK, I am just posting my progress on fixing the ISO in case I get mowed down by a bus or drowned in my bathtub. This is NOT professionally made and it does NOT work yet. It is a 90% complete ISO and still missing some SKU-specific files. Most non-SKU-specific files were added from the Server SKU of this build.

I think you can get it to install by replacing those missing files with files from another build but I have not tried that yet.

I used dummy files for those missing files and they are filled with 99h (should be easy to tell which file is a dummy file).

https://mega.nz/#!Vd8xiKJK!xE1Ag_7Rqtd6 ... 8cnAAO83xg

grabberslasher

Post by grabberslasher »

ComputerHunter wrote:OK, I am just posting my progress on fixing the ISO in case I get mowed down by a bus or drowned in my bathtub. This is NOT professionally made and it does NOT work yet. It is a 90% complete ISO and still missing some SKU-specific files. Most non-SKU-specific files were added from the Server SKU of this build.

I think you can get it to install by replacing those missing files with files from another build but I have not tried that yet.

I used dummy files for those missing files and they are filled with 99h (should be easy to tell which file is a dummy file).

https://mega.nz/#!Vd8xiKJK!xE1Ag_7Rqtd6 ... 8cnAAO83xg
I've uploaded what seems to be a non-corrupted copy of 2463 to the FTP, along with a couple other replacements for broken Whistler builds; details on Discord if you're curious