Static List?

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
Windows Thunderstruck

Static List?

Post by Windows Thunderstruck »

While I was using Longhorn build 4053, I found a rather unique option on the new drop down menu
It is labelled Static List and when the "Static List" is created, it behaves as if it were a folder
What is the Static List for anyway? An early version of something?
:beta:
There is also a Slide Show folder option, it opens a wizard where you can put pictures, I tested that (I use VPC 2007) and it does not work at all in that build (it stays at a black screen)
You know 4093? 4053 has a Longhorn Media Player as well and it looks very similar to its apperance in that build (i.e the buttons are blue instead of gray) You go to C:/Windows/floatingPlayer.exe for this prototype WMP replacement

Maza

Re: Static List?

Post by Maza »

Windows Thunderstruck wrote:While I was using Longhorn build 4053, I found a rather unique option on the new drop down menu
It is labelled Static List and when the "Static List" is created, it behaves as if it were a folder
What is the Static List for anyway? An early version of something?
There is also a Slide Show folder option, it opens a wizard where you can put pictures, I tested that (I use VPC 2007) and it does not work at all in that build (it stays at a black screen)
You know 4093? 4053 has a Longhorn Media Player as well and it looks very similar to its apperance in that build (i.e the buttons are blue instead of gray) You go to C:/Windows/floatingPlayer.exe for this prototype WMP replacement
A static list is an XML file that was intended for users to create ordered collections of items in ways that were personally relevant; they do not hold files—much as virtual folders do not hold files—but rather references to them, which are not shortcuts in the traditional sense. When one placed an item into a static list, he or she could optionally rearrange its order within the list itself and ideally would annotate the referenced item with a comment or other details (annotations are stored in the list itself and not in the items). One benefit is that with static lists users would not have to create multiple copies or shortcuts of the same file, as the same file could appear in one or more than one list.

The reason the feature is called a static list is because the items are explicitly defined by the user and thus do not change, which is in contrast with a virtual folder—initially referred to as an autolist—which is a query that dynamically updates itself. It is also because an item in a static list does not need an association with other referenced items (e.g., the same metadata properties), whereas virtual folders do (e.g., all music tracks from a particular album). It should be noted that both features appear in post-reset builds of Windows Vista.

The Slide Show feature of which you speak creates its own static list with its own extension (instead of .list-ms). If I recall, 4074 also uses static lists for the staging and burning process of writing to optical media.

Deleting an item from a static list does not delete the item from the hard disk—it only removes the item from the list. But what if one deletes an item from the hard disk that is referenced by a static list? Ideally, the list would resolve itself and remove the reference; however, none of the implementations with which I have interacted in either pre-reset or post-reset "Longhorn" do this. Instead, users must manually remove the items, which is not ideal. Microsoft discusses in a patent two systems for the static lists: one based on a database approach (e.g., "WinFS") and another based on a traditional file system with XML files—the latter implementation was preferred for interoperability. One stated benefit of the database approach is that outdated references would automatically resolve themselves; however, the patent strongly indicates that this could be achieved regardless of the system in use [emphasis mine]:
While the presently preferred embodiments of the invention have been illustrated and described, it will be appreciated that various changes may be made therein without departing from the spirit and scope of the invention. For example, it should be noted that either of the above-described implementations may be employed on a processing system 1102 regardless of what type of file system is employed.
Post-reset documentation mentions several uses for static lists:

• Organizing files by project.
• Sharing files with other people.
• Viewing pictures.
• Playing music and videos.

One other example of use is that one could create a list with references to products and then annotate them with pricing information to share with other users; this was discussed in the PDC 2003 "WinFS" AERO Guidelines.

Post-reset documentation also outlines drag-and-drop functionality intended for files, folders, static lists, and virtual folders. The table below comes from Windows Vista 5219 and discusses metadata painting, whereby dragging a target item on to a source item can modify or set metadata properties on the former (metadata painting was a significant and advertised pre-reset "Longhorn" feature and is discussed in the aforementioned PDC 2003 "WinFS" AERO Guidelines):

In the example screenshot of Windows Vista 5212 below, items in a static list are annotated with comments about what the images depict. The navigation pane to the left depicts several static lists (the green icons), many of which are based on those described in patents. Additionally, though not discussed by Microsoft, the Notes column effectively allows one to add metadata properties to files that would otherwise not support them (e.g., PNG files).

One major benefit of static lists is that users could send them as an attachment in an e-mail message, instead of sending multiple copies of files themselves, and as long as the recipient had local network access to the files referenced by the static list, he or she could access the most recent versions of the items on the sharers machine and see the sharer's personal comments.
Last edited by Maza on Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We do not view the desktop as a mode, legacy or otherwise."
Windows Vista: Microsoft Speech Center | Windows Vista Saved Search chronicle

Windows Thunderstruck

Oh thanks for that explanation! It makes me want to try 5212 more than ever

Maza

Post by Maza »

Windows Thunderstruck wrote:Oh thanks for that explanation! It makes me want to try 5212 more than ever
You are welcome. I hope that it answered all of your questions.

ImageImage
If you are interested in post-reset builds, static lists are also present in Windows Vista Build 5048 and can even be added to Windows Vista Build 5112 if one imports registry entries for static lists from the former into the latter. The icons for static lists depicted above are from 5048 and 5112, respectively.

The pre-reset "Longhorn" Self-Guided Tour released in 2003 discusses new storage features, as well as the Slide Show feature you mentioned in your previous post:
Other things to try
2. Right-click the desktop and select New and then Slideshow. This wizard includes a new control called Listmaker, which applications can use to create a list of items from a variety of locations. Use the Address bar in the wizard to navigate to Photos and Videos, drag some photos into the basket, select Next, and add some music.
At this point I should note that the post-reset Windows Vista Self-Guided Tour released in 2005 also discusses many of the new storage features that were present in the version from 2003.

Windows Thunderstruck

A great thing from a bygone time when Windows was not a stupid advertising platform

Maza

Post by Maza »

Windows Thunderstruck wrote:A great thing from a bygone time when Windows was not a stupid advertising platform
I agree with you—this great thing also gets better. I forgot to mention the following details in my original post.

Microsoft allowed static lists to support Author, Comment, File Count, and Title properties to facilitate future retrieval, as well as to enhance organization and visualization scenarios. As examples, the Title property allowed users to give their static lists specific titles (e.g., the name of a project) which could be acted upon (i.e., grouping, searching, sorting) without users needing to care so much—or even at all—about their actual file names, whereas the Comment property allowed users to annotate static lists themselves. With these properties users could group and sort static lists based on their authors or other details and also retrieve static lists via search without concerning themselves about the underlying locations on disk.

One interesting aspect of static lists is that users could reference the same item with the same extension in the same location without receiving an overwrite message (unlike in today's folders). Users could, of course, annotate a referenced item with more than one detail in the Notes column, but being able to reference the same item more than once allowed it to have distinct annotations that were separate from one another and even allowed it to be associated with multiple items simultaneously (an item with the same note(s) could be grouped among its peers).

The File Count property previously discussed is interesting in that it is only used for one other type of item in both pre-reset and post-reset "Longhorn": stacks. A nice touch in post-reset builds is that static lists, like stacks, include thumbnails of the content included therein.

Windows Thunderstruck

So in static lists, you could actually clone files?
As in
File1.test
File1.test
Instead of
File1.test
File2.test?

Maza

Post by Maza »

Windows Thunderstruck wrote:So in static lists, you could actually clone files?
As in
File1.test
File1.test
Instead of
File1.test
File2.test?
Yes. The multiple references to the same item would literally be exactly the same as per your example.

Windows Thunderstruck

I wonder if this feature is in the final version of Vista? If so I bet it uses a different name.

Maza

Post by Maza »

Windows Thunderstruck wrote:I wonder if this feature is in the final version of Vista? If so I bet it uses a different name.
It was unfortunately removed before RTM.

Here is an image that depicts the same file with the same extension appearing in the same location more than once:

Windows Thunderstruck

I wonder why static lists were removed?

Maza

Post by Maza »

Windows Thunderstruck wrote:I wonder why static lists were removed?
If I had to guess, it was probably because items referenced by static lists could not resolve themselves automatically if deleted—users would instead have to remove them manually, which would be very tedious, particularly in the long run. It is a shame because the company really worked toward implementing them with aspects such as context menu and thumbnail handlers, and even a Known Folder for static lists.

Windows Thunderstruck

I wonder what the last build to have Static Lists was?

Maza

Post by Maza »

Windows Thunderstruck wrote:I wonder what the last build to have Static Lists was?
I believe that is 5212.