BetaArchive FTP Server: The Old vs The New

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
mrpijey
Administrator

BetaArchive FTP Server: The Old vs The New

Post by mrpijey »

Well, here it is, some info about my current server setup at home vs the new I am setting up...
--------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Old

(click to enlarge)

A brief description of the various components all conveniently assembled into a couple of stacked IKEA Lack tables...:
  1. The main storage bay. A USB 3.0 connected drive cage that holds 8x 3.5" drives. Holds all my private stuff such as movies, games, music etc. Has USB 3.0 and eSATA connectivity.
  2. The main server. Lenovo TS140 with a quadcore Intel Xeon E3-1225 v3 CPU, 32GB of ECC DDR3 RAM, 2x500GB Samsung SSD for system boot, virtual machines and software, quad port Intel gigabit network card. This server runs my website as well as virtualises my various other servers such as my gaming server, auxiliary personal backup server, lab VMs (for beta testing etc), OwnCloud appliance and even my router (pfSense) etc. The core system in my network and only one that has USB 3.0 support. Runs Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter.
  3. The BetaArchive FTP server. A HP N54L MicroServer equipped with a dualcore AMD Turion II Neo 2.2GHz CPU, 8GB DDR3 ECC RAM, dual-port Intel network card, 4x 4TB harddrives (BA archive)+1TB drive for system. This is where all your BA files lives. Runs Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard.
  4. Private backup server. A HP N54L MicroServer equipped with a dualcore AMD Turion II Neo 2.2GHz CPU, 4GB DDR3 ECC RAM, 4x 1TB harddrives+400GB drive for system. All my personal files and system recoveries are stored here. Also runs my email server and its backups. Runs Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard.
  5. Drive expansion bay. I use this to connect all the various loose drives I got to the BetaArchive server (using a single eSATA cable) including BetaArchive backup drives, personal backup drives etc. Since no other system has eSATA multiplier port capabilities this is the only solution. Has both USB 3.0 and eSATA connectivity and can also act as a standalone harddrive duplicator and eraser. I use this to clean and error-check all my drives before use or destruction.
Scattered around you see various harddrives, this is about 1% of all the drives I got lying around. It's a complete mess at the moment. And since I can only connect the drive expansion bay to the BA server everything has to go through it even when it's technically the slowest machine in the server group. The Lenovo server doesn't have any eSATA ports and all its USB3 ports are used up on all the external Western Digital drives you see in the bottom left corner. On one of the HP servers I got additional external drives connected to the main server as well.

Since the BA server can't hold more than 16GB of RAM it's not even nearly enough to deduplicate my BA backup drives (which are 2x8TB drives), which means I need to put them in the bottom drive expansion bay, disconnect the eSATA cable and connect the bay to the front of the main server using USB3. Then run the deduplication and then connect everything back again. Fortunately I don't need to do backups every day but it's still a mess. The BA server can just enough manage to deduplicate its 4x4TB drives if I force the deduplication process to use all available memory. A few more Win10 betas and it won't be able to do a proper deduplication anymore.

If anyone wonders, the top left box on the wall is a HP access point powered by a PoE brick. And the D-Link rack mounted box on the top is my switch where everything is connected. Again a mess :).

I've had this setup for many years and never bothered to make things neater as I knew I wanted to move to better hardware.

All in all everything draws about 280-300W of power, everything is running 24/7.

Any questions?

I will be posting The New pics and descriptions once I finish installing everything. At the moment everything is assembled on the kitchen table and I am moving over all my VMs as well as virtualizing some of these physical servers to it.

The New

(click to enlarge)

1. 4-port KVM switch. This one was supposed to act as a switch between all the computers. Unfortunately I managed to fry this one with a power supply it didn't like... happy times. I will replace it soon.
  2. The main server. A fully upgraded HP ProLiant DL360 G7 1U rack server. This is the core system of the entire network. Runs Windows Server 2016 Datacenter. For those spec-nerds of you, this is what it got:
    • Two 6-core Intel Xeon E5645 2.4GHz CPUs with Hyper-threading (a total of 24 threads).
    • 288GB of ECC DDR3 RAM with 260GB usable (the rest is redundancy RAM for each channel).
    • 8x 2.5" SAS/SATA slots equipped with 6x 250GB Samsung 850 Pro SSDs and two additional 1TB mechanical drives for backup, system, virtual machine storage.
    • Two battery backed up LSI SAS controller cards for external drive expansion for a total of an additional 24 harddrives (see next section).
    • Two power supplies that work in tandem to provide stable power.
    • 4x 1000Mbit built in network interfaces with the option to upgrade them to 4x10Gbit (will upgrade to this later).
  3. The main storage bay. 20 bays of 3.5" SATA/SAS drives connected through a SATA>SFF-8088 interface connecting them to the main server. Holds all my private drives as well as BetaArchive FTP drives. I only use about half of them right now so plenty of expansion. This unit also holds a separate motherboard which acts as my router, unfortunately I seem to have stability issues with it so until it's resolved the router is virtualized on the main server. The software I use is pfSense, in my opinion the absolute best custom router/firewall/VPN solution you can find. I'll never go back to physical store routers again!
  4. Backup storage bay. Additional 4 bays of 3.5" SATA/SAS drives connected with a SFF-8470 to SFF-8088 cable to the main server. I use this for my system backups on my network. Holds 4x2TB drives configured as two mirrors (one for Windows, one for OSX).
  5. Backup system. This is the old server along with the old drive bays and additional USB drives. This will act as a backup system for my main drives and only powered on and run when I do a full system backup. Will eventually be replaced with a secondary rack mounted server and storage bay, but it's not a priority.
Here are some extra fun pics of the system and config...

A closeup of the server before I upgraded it with extra bays.

The guts of the server. This is before the additional CPU, RAM and SAS controllers. Everything is extremely tight, and those tiny fans make a racket once things get heated up. That is why I needed to move it to a different room. I am considering a custom water cooling solution for the CPUs and RAM.

The back of the entire rig. It's a complete mess but shows how much wiring is needed for everything. But it's impossible to neat up without a rack cabinet. Makes for easy access though. Once I get a rack cabinet I will tidy up all the cabling as well. I took this pic during the moving of the server just for fun...

And here it is, finally installed in its new rack cabinet. I had to take out the back since the server was slightly longer than expected to fit all the cables, but that's not a problem and it will improve cooling. So now it's all done, and my printer fit nicely behind the monitor as well. Each server rack can now be pulled out of the cabinet without disconnecting any cables so I can do in-place upgrades and modifications without the need to remove any screws or disconnect anything. The glass door also helps dampening some of the noise but I will also add noise dampening pads on the door later to further cut the fan noise when the server is busy.

The only additions to this I will do in the future is to replace the backup server and external USB drives with rack cabinet equivalents like the main server and its disk enclosure. It will all fit nicely in this cabinet as well as there's actually more space in this than in the old custom made one, but this replacement is not a priority as the backup server is only active during backups, otherwise it's turned off. And the old IKEA tables are now sitting in a recycling center waiting to become fuel for the heating furnaces :). RIP IKEA LackRack.
--------

Now time for some very important credits!
  • A very big thanks to BA member dw5304 for the VERY generous donation. Without you it wouldn't been possible to get all the items in time, thanks to you I could order everything I needed right away and also add some very nice upgrades. THANK YOU! You've helped out BetaArchive in more ways than I can remember! Thanks also for providing the very much needed Windows Server license!
  • Many thanks to Andy for sticking by and helping out diagnosing all the weird errors I had during the setup and for making all the adjustments to BetaArchive needed to make this new setup running. You really make BetaArchive run and I doubt many people realise how much work is needed to make everything run smoothly!
  • To all the BetaArchive members helping out making this community grow and also making sure that I need to run to the store getting more and larger harddrives :).

Lastly, here are a pile of rotten eggs especially dedicated to:
  • The Scandinavian postal system PostNord. You're a complete mess. You can hardly deliver any packages right and I had to chase my packages all across the city because you failed to notify me when they arrived, and also sent them to postal offices that were on the other side of the city. There are FOUR postal offices within 100m from me, get it right next time!
  • Various chinese sellers on eBay. Get your tracking numbers right please. It's hard enough having to wait between 3 weeks and 2 months for a delivery but even harder not being able to track the package until it's arrived. Good thing you respond to my messages at least!
  • The universe. Placing the planets in such a way that I am only limited to 24 hours a day. Too little time to do what I need to do. Thanks for existing though! :).
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

ShadixAced

Re: BetaArchive FTP Server: The Old vs The New

Post by ShadixAced »

The BetaArchive FTP server. A HP N54L MicroServer equipped with a dualcore AMD Turion II Neo 2.2GHz CPU, 8GB DDR3 ECC RAM, dual-port Intel network card, 4x 4TB harddrives (BA archive)+1TB drive for system. This is where all your BA files lives. Runs Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard.
I'm surprised that everything we brought to BA is fitting in one little server ^^. Still, congrats, hope the new one is better.
S.A.

Releases done so far : 21
Member of Microsoft France's House of Fans (^^)

MrFreeman

Post by MrFreeman »

Are you going to sell the old hardware?
Half-Life is a pretty good game.

awesomeguy

Post by awesomeguy »

The BetaArchive FTP server. A HP N54L MicroServer equipped with a dualcore AMD Turion II Neo 2.2GHz CPU, 8GB DDR3 ECC RAM, dual-port Intel network card, 4x 4TB harddrives (BA archive)+1TB drive for system. This is where all your BA files lives. Runs Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard.
Didn't know that BA uses such a small server! I have to say though, it is reliable.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

awesomeguy wrote:Didn't know that BA uses such a small server! I have to say though, it is reliable.
It's server grade hardware, so it's as reliable as you'd see any commercial grade stuff. The microservers were designed for home and small business use.

Goldfish64
Donator

Post by Goldfish64 »

mrpijey wrote:The main server. Lenovo TS140 with a quadcore Intel Xeon E3-1225 v3 CPU, 32GB of ECC DDR3 RAM, 2x500GB Samsung SSD for system boot, virtual machines and software, quad port Intel gigabit network card. This server runs my website as well as virtualises my various other servers such as my gaming server, auxiliary personal backup server, lab VMs (for beta testing etc), OwnCloud appliance and even my router (pfSense) etc. The core system in my network and only one that has USB 3.0 support. Runs Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter.
I've got one of those myself, except with 20GB RAM and 2016 Datacenter.
Goldfish64

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

MrFreeman wrote:Are you going to sell the old hardware?
No, the hardware will be reused for various new tasks. The main Lenovo server will be reused as a drive backup server so I can easily backup my private drives and BA. Both of of the HP servers will be moved to an external destination as an offsite backup in case something would happen with my main stuff at home.

awesomeguy

Post by awesomeguy »

mrpijey wrote:Will be updated...
mrpijey wrote:Once I move the BA FTP server to the new hardware I will expand the storage with two additional drives
So I'm guessing that the new server will have 6x4TB drives for a total of 24TB drives...
awesomeguy wrote:What are the specs of the new hardware? How many drive bays?
mrpijey wrote: 28 bays. I will post some information about the new server once it's fully setup and running. It will not only host BA FTP but also my private servers, I am working on setting it up now.
So we won't run out of space for HDDs...

I'm really hoping this server improves FTP performance!

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

FTP performance will not change. The performance is dictated by your connection, the routing between your ISP and BA, and the latency.

haroldas.velioniskis
Donator

Post by haroldas.velioniskis »

The Server Info page needs to be updated, it doesn't display graphs for the second server.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Yes we're aware of that. Not everything is quite finished yet.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

I've added the last piece to the initial post about the new server. I don't think I've missed anything, and there will be some minor changes along the way too. But I expect to rely on this system for quite a while, and its specification is far above what I had before so I got plenty of headroom now for future needs.

awesomeguy

Post by awesomeguy »

I couldn't help but notice a little flash drive/SD Card in the server. What is that for? Otherwise, great server!
mrpijey, are you an IT admin or something?

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Yeah, one is a bootable recovery stick to boot and restore the server in case it fails completely, the other is a bootable diagnostics card I've put together in case something doesn't work right. It also holds a bootable installation media along with all drivers just in case.

I work with IT as an admin, tech and manager, so a bit of everything I guess.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

The graphs for the new server are up now.

Gnome
Donator

Post by Gnome »

Quite curious, what is the main storage box's case? been looking for one for my home server

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

Glad to hear about the upgrade! :) Actually I am still surprised the BA FTP is hosted in your house and the website uses a hosting, I wonder: Why was selfhosting chosen back when the "new" FTP begun? Was it because of lower running costs as compared to renting a server or is something else involved as well?
mrpijey wrote:Lastly, here are a pile of rotten eggs especially dedicated to:
  • The Scandinavian postal system PostNord. You're a complete mess. You can hardly deliver any packages right and I had to chase my packages all across the city because you failed to notify me when they arrived, and also sent them to postal offices that were on the other side of the city. There are FOUR postal offices within 100m from me, get it right next time!
Interesting to hear that about western postal systems as a millenial from a post-Communist country where sending a package over the Czech Post is a synonym for sending it to /dev/null (as a Czech dad joke goes, "I would tell you a joke about the Czech Post but I am not sure whether you'll get it...") I would have said the western ones are almost perfect :P
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

The main reason mrpijey hosts the files is because it's cheaper, and doesn't need to be online 24/7. Cost was a factor when we hosted the files on the same server. We quickly outgrew it and the costs became prohibitive for a free site. To continue to expand whilst keeping everything in a datacenter would cost us a fairly high monthly fee (co-location isn't an option because it's too restrictive on bandwidth and management).

Given that mrpijey has enough bandwidth and hardware at his disposal, we chose to move it to him. It's cheaper that way and allows us to use whichever hardware and software we need without limitations of renting in a datacenter.

Unlike the data, the website does need to be online 24/7 and has to be reliable, so for this reason the website uses a server hosted in a proper datacenter. I could host it from home myself if I wanted without trouble (infact BA was hosted on a server from my own home for many years), but it wouldn't be as reliable or quick.

Zheng He
Donator

Post by Zheng He »

Hi mrpijey,
I'm interested in the hardware cost, network cost and electric charge. Could you please tell me about these?

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Hardware cost is difficult to say as I've upgraded and changed the hardware over time as well as got the parts over time from various sources. This entire server rig has been a project for over a year now, slowly assembling all the necessary hardware. If you're talking about the core hardware I just added (without harddrives) then it's about 600-700 euros for me, between 2000-3000 euros current market price. Considerably more if you add all the main and backup harddrives, main and backup harddrive enclosures, backup server and various upgrades (harddrive controllers, extra ECC RAM etc). Some of it I also got in exchange for some work etc so it would be difficult to get an exact number. Add harddrives, backup system, upgrades and the extras I would say somewhere around 5k-6k market price. The most expensive stuff here is the server itself, harddrive enclosures, extra RAM in the server and all the harddrives (including necessary backup drives).

I pay 17 euros a month for a 2000/1000 connection, but again, not normal prices. My "official" speed is 200/200 which is 29 euros/mo here. Good to have friends in high places and with access to the network servers :).

Electrical costs I don't know yet. I just brought the server online last weekend. I've added a power meter and will measure the power over the next month to see how much it uses, but it uses between 280-320W of power depending on load, and an additional 50W of power when the backup system is up (which I only turn on during backup sessions). And I can't give you the last month bill since it would differ significantly from now since I got different hardware and a different setup now.

jimmsta
Donator

Post by jimmsta »

Gotta love older HP server hardware. I maintain a DL360g6 (IIRC), DL380g7, an ML110g9, and DL380g9 at work. Support for the boxes is decent, and shoving a bunch of drives in is not a problem. Granted, the fans are loud at times, you really cannot beat the value that hp servers offer. Especially those little boxes - they're cheap and work great as file servers. Glad to see the massive upgrade in progress!
16 years of BA experience; I refurbish old electronics, and archive diskettes with a KryoFlux. My posting history is 16 years of educated speculation and autism.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Yeah, they are really neat, I am looking at getting a secondary one to use as a backup server along with a secondary drive rack, but it's not a priority atm. This weekend (probably) I am also going to shove it all into a rack cabinet to finalize the upgrade :).

Noise isn't much of an issue as I keep all of it in a walk in closet close to the door, but when the heat ramps up you can hear the fans. Will look into noise dampening the room later as I don't want to know how hot that room will get next summer...

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Made a final update to the main post with final rack cabinet pictures. Turned out pretty nicely compared to the old custom ones I've used in all my years... I've had so many custom cabinet projects over the years, but now it's finally over :).

veso266

Post by veso266 »

@mrpijey may I ask what FTP software are you using for FTP Server and how is authentication system on german relay server made (how do you create FTP Username and Password from the web?)

Thanks for Anwsering and Best Regards